7th Medium Regiment RA

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

David W
Patron

7th Medium Regiment RA

Post by David W » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:06 pm

Does anyone have a date for the 7th Medium Regiment receiving it's 4.5" Guns?

I understand that it was between Jan & Jun 1942.
Thanks. Dave.

Mark F

Post by Mark F » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:20 pm

David,

This may be of help.
http://www.army.mod.uk/32regtra/history.htm

Mark

David W
Patron

Post by David W » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:57 pm

Thanks Mark.

The history section however has errors & contradictions, so I am a little dubious about using it as a definative source for reference. But thanks for providing the link.

David.
Thanks. Dave.

nigelfe
Enthusiast

Post by nigelfe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:30 am

The problem is that there is no single reliable source for artillery equipment changes. Probably the only way to do it is to look at unit War diaries, and hope they made a note of changes. However, converting to 4.5-in would probably need a period to allow for individual training and a work-up exercise. Since medium arty was seldom under command below corps level Joslen is no help.

At the outbreak of war 7 Med had a bty each of 60-pr and 6-in. They seem to have kept them at least until Feb 41. They're difficult to track because in 1941 they spent various perods with their two btys in differnet places. 7 Med's two btys were 25/26 and 27/28, but RHQ sometimes had a bty from another med regt under command.

It's not clear what they were equipped with in Greece. Neither Horner's 'The Gunners' (Australian) nor Farndale's 'The Years of Defeat' give any information. However, the other medium regt in Greece, 64, went there equipped with 4.5-in. This regt seems to have started re-equipping in very early Mar 1941 and arrived in Greece on 20 Mar. 7 Med arrived there 2 weeks later. During Mar/Apr they were part of BTE, which could mean re-equipping.

When 64 Med arrived back in Egypt having lost their guns in Greece they were re-equipped with 6-in, indicating that there weren't any 4.5-in guns available. In Syria in Jul 41 7 Med appears to have had 6-in in at least one bty.

From 7/10/41 until 19/8/42 RHQ and 27/28 Bty were BTE while 25/26 Bty was 8 Army. The regt joined 8 Army at the second date.

I don't have any detail about the period from late 41. This one is definitely in the jigsaw category.

David W
Patron

Post by David W » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Tricky one, isn't it?
Thanks. Dave.

nigelfe
Enthusiast

Post by nigelfe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:13 am

Defintitely, the problems are several once you get outside UK *and the BEF) in the first years of the war. Medium regts were under command corps or higher, and their batteries were often detached, particularly in the case of the regular regiments (those numbered below 51, but even this is complicated because the pre-war regular medium regts were 1 to 7). I've even founf non-existent regts in the War Office quarterly statements! As my previous post indicaed equipemnt is furhter confused by regts loosing modenr guns and reverting to old ones. My advice is to take a day out, go to the Clavell Library in Woolwich and look at the War Diaries (unless you are addicted to the National Archives experience).

By the way 67 and 68 (TA regts) were lost at Tobruk but re-formed. There was actually a bit of a punch up between the Gunners and GHQ MEF because the latter formally disbanded the lost regts, the Gunners rightly pointed out that a) GHQ MEF didn't have the authority, and b) it was contrary to RA policy. That said it was unusual to re-form non regular regiments.

David W
Patron

Post by David W » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:18 am

I've even founf non-existent regts in the War Office quarterly statements!
Blunders like that make research a real nightmare don't they!
Thanks. Dave.