A history of the US Army's last campaign in Italy in 1945?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

sid guttridge
on "time out"

A history of the US Army's last campaign in Italy in 1945?

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

Is anyone aware of the title of the US Army's official history of the 1945 campaign in Italy?

I am particularly after maps of the exploitation phase after the Gothic Line was breached in April 1945. Is the West Point military atlas series any good on this?

Many thanks,

Sid.
Rich
Associate

Re: A history of the US Army's last campaign in Italy in 194

Post by Rich »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi Guys,

Is anyone aware of the title of the US Army's official history of the 1945 campaign in Italy?
"Cassino to the Alps"
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Rich,

Many thanks.

Sid.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

You may also wish to consult "About Face" by David Hackworth. While the book is centered on the author's Vietnam and post-Vietnam experiences, there is some good 1st person narrative of his posting as a 16 year old to the occupation troops of the 88th Inf Div in N Italy in 1945-46. Also, Sen Bob Dole's autobiography covers action there.

So, while these are not the official history, they may augment nicely.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi pzrmeyer,

Thanks. I am particularly interested in 92nd Infantry and 10th Mountain Divisions.

Cheers,

Sid.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Ok, let me check my bookcase. I know I've got the semi-official bio of the 10th Mountain. I believe it is called "Into the Mountains Dark". I'll verify.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

sorry, Into the Mountains Dark is a memoir written by a soldier of the US 100th Inf Div, fighting in France, not 10th Mtn. I beleive the 10th Mtn one is called "Fire on the Mountain"--you might be able to find it if you look it up in the library.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

H pzrmeyer,

Thanks for the effort.

The Imperial War Museum has all the US divisional histories, so I will have to look them out next time I am in London. The curse of being a provincial!

Cheers,

Sid.
John W. Howard

Book

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Sid:
I am doing this from memory, but Shellford and Bidwell, two Brit historians, wrote a book called TUG OF WAR about the Italian Campaign. It is very good and includes info about the 1945 operations; I believe they discuss the 92ID. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi John,

Thanks. A neighbouring library has "Tug of War" and I have now ordered it through inter library loan.

Cheers,

Sid.
vonsalza

Re: A history of the US Army's last campaign in Italy in 1945?

Post by vonsalza »

Another book it's "The War North Of Rome - June 1944-May 1945" by Thomas R. Brooks (with foreword by Senator Bob Dole), published by Sarpedon, New York, 1996. The author served in the 10th Mountain Division as a rifleman.