Dieppe

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

nigelfe
Enthusiast

Post by nigelfe »

Rodger Herbst wrote:"Unauthorized Action" by Brian Loring Villa is the book i think you are looking for.
That name doesn't ring a bell and I certainly haven't read tha book, IIRC what I was thinking of was an article in the RUSI Journal 3 or 4 years ago. It's probably accessible on their web site for a small fee.
Snefens

Re: Dieppe

Post by Snefens »

joefraser wrote:Hi,
When I was younger I heard a bit of a conspiracy theory regarding the Dieppe raid. As we know the raid was mainly by Canadians and the rumour that I heard was that Churchill had leaked details of the raid to the Germans. Thus the raid was doomed to failure, but when the real D-day came about, the same sources were then fed false details. The idea being that having had good info one time the Germans would fall for the false info. Thus sacrificing a few lives to save others in the future. I think the records for the Dieppe raid are still locked away, but has anyone heard anything similar about this raid?
Many thanks
Joefraser
I believe you are talking about the book "Operation JB [James Bond] - The Last Great Secret of the Second World War". by Christopher Creighton
In this the author claims to have been a double-spy during World War Two, leaking information about the Dieppe raid, so he later in 1944 could make the Germans believe the real invasion wasn't going to take place in Normandy.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Other way round, I think the theory spawned the book! OpJB....by a master storyteller's son - isnt Chris Crieghton the son of Michael "Andromeda Strain" "Jurassic Park" "Timeline" Creighton? And of course, the little book that spawned one of my all-time fave films "The Eaters of the Dead".....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi Guys,
I think what you fellows are missing is the information garnered from the forward radar station of the Luftwaffe . This was not captured by the Canadians but by the concurrent landing of the Commandos. Information garnered from this part of the raid was valuable and if the raid had been scaled back for this target only it would have been successful. The lack of focussed training of Canadians in England showed how much of a liability to potential combined operations they were at that point which was rectified for Operation Husky where the Canadians played a role in the Commomwealth landings that did not reflect so poorly on them.
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
nigelfe
Enthusiast

Post by nigelfe »

The cdo tasks on the coast defence batteries on the flanks of Dieppe were an integral part of the op and sustained proportionately the highest casualties (a point invariably forgotten in Canada).

The raid by paras (not cdos) to capture and remove the key components of a German radar was at Bruneval, this was in Feb 1942, months before Dieppe (even on the original planning).

Was there another raid to seize a radar? I've just cross-checked the War Office historical monograph 'Army Radar' published in 1950, which describes some key aspects of the Bruneval raid and it makes no mention of any others and indicates no technical intelligence need to make any later raids specifically to capture German radar technology.