American rifles....

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

American rifles....

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, just saw a few seconds of interesting film on tv - can anyone confirm if ANY American troops in the Torch landings or the subsequent clearing of Tunisia were still equiped with Springfields???

regards, Phylo
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
bradhunter
Supporter

Re: American rifles....

Post by bradhunter »

phylo_roadking wrote:All, just saw a few seconds of interesting film on tv - can anyone confirm if ANY American troops in the Torch landings or the subsequent clearing of Tunisia were still equiped with Springfields???

regards, Phylo
Only snipers. The USMC was still using the Springfield in the Pacific, though....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Knew about snipers, Was wondering cos there was a brief shot of two GIs behind a garden wall on the outskirts of Tunis with Springfields. Not snipers tho....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Spinechicken
Supporter

Post by Spinechicken »

Knew about snipers, Was wondering cos there was a brief shot of two GIs behind a garden wall on the outskirts of Tunis with Springfields. Not snipers tho....
Yeah, I've seen a similar shot, supposedly in Normandy, of a GI taking cover behind some rubble. It's definitely Northern European by the look of the building shells behind him.

Rear-echelon troops posing perhaps? Or snipers in a combat situation where they don't need a scope, assuming you could or would want to remove it?

-SC
"An American officer asked me once 'How on earth do you kill a Tiger?', so I told him to go and shoot it up the arse."

-A soldier of the 51st (Highland) Division
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ideally you wouldnt, takes a lot of work in the butts to calibrate a scope with a particular rifle, the more times it come off and on the screw mounts wear a fraction, and the adjustment screws could get moved, and.....

thats why I wondered about the film, AND that it showed TWO GIs.....

phylo
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

In that early part of the war Garands were occassionally in short supply and there were soldiers who had grown up with the '03 and would get one by hook or by crook. (still lots of regulars at that early date)

Typically though, it was used as a sniper rifle or for launching rifle grenades.

interesting tidbat - my father worked in military R&D at Aberdeen Proving ground and was once scheduled to go to Vietnam for some tests of an anti-tank missle (TOW? not sure). I asked him what weapon he'd take for his own protection - he never hesitated: "The Springfield '03 - I like to hit what I shoot at!"

cheers
Reb
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I know that a certain County Sheriff, one A. York, carried his old issue Springfield during the rest of his active life. A LOT of WWI veterans procured them, the longer barrel and stable bolt action giving FAR greater accuracy over any of the more common 30.06's in civilian hands. Many were kept and used till the lands simply wore out of the barrels.

phylo
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Re: American rifles....

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

phylo_roadking wrote:All, just saw a few seconds of interesting film on tv - can anyone confirm if ANY American troops in the Torch landings or the subsequent clearing of Tunisia were still equiped with Springfields???

regards, Phylo
Yes, they were, although most had Garands by this time. I have two photos in books which would seem to confirm this. One shows US infantry coming ashore during Operation Torch, and the other shows US troops holding back welcoming crowds after the fall of Tunis. In both cases Springfields can be clearly seen intermixed with Garands in the same units, with Springfields being in a distinct minority.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ta muchly, MG! heres a question - did they both fire the same cartridge???
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

There seems a lot of talk about the accuracy of the '03 Springfield and how it would affect the scores. Those scores were rifle range scores and you shot for extra pay if you qualified, it had nothing to do with combat shooting were you wanted fire power,RPM, I was glad to see that old blunderbus go, i liked the M1 Garrand, it's nice recoil,8 round clip, etc.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Now Rodger - you know how passionate men are about our guns.

The Glock .45 for instance - is a work of art - all the felt recoil goes straight back, double tap is simple, large mag etc.

But try to talk a Colt .45 afficianado into swapping Colt for Glock! :D

cheers
Reb
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

I know Reb, when we turned our '03 in for Garrands you could almost see the tears and forbodings of gloom that came over a lot of old timers,but us youngsters showed no pity, now i know how they felt because i've became a M1 Garrand booster.
Lot like we laughed at the cavalry when they had to give up thier horses.
John W. Howard

Springfield

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Phylo:
Alvin York actually carried a .30-06 Enfield during his Medal of Honor exploits. Some US troops were equipped with these instead of Springfields. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yep, and a Luger for half of the event lol but returned to the Springfield for his next thirty years!
John W. Howard

Aha!!

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Phylo:
That was something I did not know!! The town where I went to college had numerous old Enfields for sale; unfortunately eating was more important than buying rifles. Take care.
John W. Howard