The Tommy Cooker

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Imad
Contributor

The Tommy Cooker

Post by Imad »

The propensity of the M4 Sherman to burn on getting hit (apparently even by 20mm shells) is well known. Can anyone tell me the specific reasons why this happened?
Imad
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Re: The Tommy Cooker

Post by C.GILLONO »

Imad wrote:The propensity of the M4 Sherman to burn on getting hit (apparently even by 20mm shells) is well known. Can anyone tell me the specific reasons why this happened?
Imad
Too much stuff (often flammable) packed in the tank on the way of shell fragments/molten metal after penetration.
The later Shermans (W for Wet) with one-piece glacis [except the latest M4A2 75mm] had no more ammo stocked over the level of the sponsons and the bins were designed to drown any beginning fire with water (hence the Wet).
The fuel used (gasoline or Diesel) in the engine did not matter much, contrary to what is often said/written.
Source : official Allied reports quoted by various authors.
HTH
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Hi
Traditionally the Sherman's propemsity in the early marques to brew up was due not to the type of fuel...but rather how it was used....remember, it was powered by a modified rotary aero engine running on petrol, with a multiplicity of heat-warping carbs and flanges and a spiders' web of little leaky brass fuel lines....all relatively unprotected at the rear of the vehicle behind the engine louvres. (Diesel {derv} is a much heavier fuel without the propensity to aerosol, thus a diesel fire is smoky, nasty, but much "cooler" , doesnt spread and is easily extinguished)

Note also "TOMMY cooker"...its reputation as such grew out of the British use of early models in the Western Desert before any fire-preventing developments were incorporated. If the Americans had first used it in numbers in anger it would of course have been called something else!

(which it was - GIs called it the Ronson, after their official issue and very leaky cigarette lighters. Which could spontaneously combust if they as much as tipped over if overfilled. Now if THIS isnt reference from those in the know to a fuel issue, what is???)

Phylo
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

I'd also read the nickname Zippo used to describe Shermans - "Lights first every time."
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Post by C.GILLONO »

Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
Darrin
Contributor

Re: The Tommy Cooker

Post by Darrin »

Imad wrote:The propensity of the M4 Sherman to burn on getting hit (apparently even by 20mm shells) is well known. Can anyone tell me the specific reasons why this happened?
Imad

It seems the sherman was not any worse at crew cas than any other CW tank. At least according to one study of CW unit diaries done after the war.