BRAZILIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Walter Godinho

BRAZILIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

Post by Walter Godinho »

BRAZILIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE IN ITALY
In what area was the BEF (FEB) located during end April/early May 1945. Also what German units were oposing them? Thanks. Walter Godinho. :wink:
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

I think it was the 148 Infantry Division. Why are you interested in the brazilian unit?

regards
Gino

Post by Gino »

Just a quick note to update you,
by the mid of april 45 FEB units were still on the hills south of Modena area, in a mountain sector between the US 10th mountain div and the US 1st Armored div.
Starting the last offensive the Brazilian Inf. Div was facing the 114th Jager Div and after than with the final push (14>28 april) to the Po Valley they fought against the 148th Inf. Div and whats left of the 90th Pz.Gren.Div.
(south area between Reggio Emilia and Parma, (Fornovo e Taro valley))
I do belive that some brazilian unit took prisoner part of the HQ staff of the 148th Inf.Div.

Hope this could help.
Cheers,
Stefano
vonsalza

A little correction, Gino.

Post by vonsalza »

All it's right. Only i like to say that the Brazilians don't catch only the 148th's HQ, but all the German division, south of Parma in the region of Fornovo Di Taro. Too, the Brazilians captured the "Itália" Division (one bersaglieri formation); the 361st Regiment from the 90th Panzergrenadier Division; one battalion of the fascist "Camici Neri" and the German 4th Mountain Battalion.

In all the Brazilians captured more than 14,000 men.

After this, the 1st Brazilian Infantry Division was turned to Turim to help in the siege in the south of Po River, of the German Ligurian Army. Brazilian troops made contact with French soldiers from the 27th Alpine Division, in the Susa area.