Tank Destruction Badge

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

CrazyD

Tank Destruction Badge

Post by CrazyD »

Gentlemen, I was hoping someone could clarify this award for me. The Tank Destruction Badge- awarded for destroying an enemy tank "by hand", correct? I'm under the impression that this award was given for destroying an enemy tank WITHOUT using a tank or tracked tank destroyer. Destroying an enemy tank with a hand weapon- panzerfaust, panzerschreck, anti-tank mine, etc. But what about destroying a tank with a towed anti-tank gun? Would that also qualify one for the award?
And I'm also guessing that destroting an enemy tank with an assualt gun or SP Artillery (StuG) would NOT qualify one for the award.

Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks for any info!

8)
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

The Tank Destruction Badge- awarded for destroying an enemy tank "by hand", correct? I'm under the impression that this award was given for destroying an enemy tank WITHOUT using a tank or tracked tank destroyer. Destroying an enemy tank with a hand weapon- panzerfaust, panzerschreck, anti-tank mine, etc.

Yes thats right!
But what about destroying a tank with a towed anti-tank gun? Would that also qualify one for the award?
No!
And I'm also guessing that destroying an enemy tank with an assualt gun or SP Artillery (StuG) would NOT qualify one for the award.
Yes, you guessed right :D

regards
Hans N
CrazyD

Post by CrazyD »

Great, thanks for the info!

The towed anti-tank gun was the part I was really stuck on... not a tracked vehicle, but certainly not a hand-held weapon, either!

Cheers!

8)
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

The official name was "Sonderabzeichen für das Niederkämpfen von Panzerkampfwagen durch Einzelkämpfer". As a Pak is a crew-served weapon, destroying a tank with a towed anti-tank gun could not qualify anyone for the award.
ha0

Post by ha0 »

Stefan is right.

The tank destruction stripe was instituted to recognise tank killings by individual skill with hand held weapons during combat. Destruction could be accomplished by rocket grenades, hand grenades, satchel charges or any other similar hand held explosives.

Interestingly, prior to its introduction, the general assault badge was awarded for such deeds. Stripe in gold represents 5 kills. Highest score by individual was Oberleutnant Gunter Viezenz, who earned 21 tank kills, and was later awarded the Ritter Kreuz. Tough nut he is.

Regards.
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."
Rikster
Supporter

Viezenz

Post by Rikster »

WAS a tough nut, he died 14th January 1999

Rik
ha0

Post by ha0 »

Hi Rikster,

Do u have any picture of Gunther Viezenz by any chance?
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Viezenz did not knock out 21 tanks in close combat.

Best regards/ Daniel
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Daniel,

We do you say he did not achieve 21 kills? I have him as 21 Kills....(source Tank Killers)?.....

Cheers

Revellations
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

How did Bäke get his 3 badges?

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
fknorr

Post by fknorr »

charlie don't surf wrote:Viezenz did not knock out 21 tanks in close combat.

Best regards/ Daniel
Every source I just pulled up has him being the highest @ 21.
artyguy

Tank destruction Badge

Post by artyguy »

My question is, would this award have been given to any military personel; say naval personel assigned to a kampfgruppe late in the war?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Artyguy!

Yes, the "Sonderabzeichen für das Niederkämpfen von Panzerkampfwagen durch Einzelkämpfer", the Tank Destruction Badge, was awarded to all services of the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS. When it comes to the Kriegsmarine, the sailors being part Ground units such as the Marine-Panzervernichtungs-Bataillon "Cremer", formed in February 1945, knocked out several Allied tanks with hand-held weapons.
Several awards of the Tank Destruction Badge to Kriegsmarine personel are documented but unfortunately no photos are known to exist.

Source: "TANK KILLERS - History of the Tank Destruction Badge" by Breyette & Bender (2000)

About a photo on Oberstleutnant Viezenz of 21 kills fame:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/war_bad ... e_tank.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
artyguy

Post by artyguy »

Thanks for this information.
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Charlie is right, I ran into this discussion:

http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_for ... session=67, it is stated there that Viezenz never destroyed 21 tanks. He told this to a collector (see the link & scroll it down).

Alex