SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

D.Gatti

SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger

Post by D.Gatti »

Hi to all! :wink:

I speak to you real experts of German uniforms..

I would like to make this figure (this I have not painted it and it's not mine)..
I wishing to do this Obersturmführer of SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger in Belarus between 1942 and 1944..
I ask you some questions.. :[]

So..
In your opinion..
1) This figure, may appear to represent an official of the SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger or not?

On what date did the SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger had their collar-insignia (right side on collar) instead of the normal ss-runes?

2) Is it correct that it does not have the wimple on the Feldmutze by Obersturmführer?
3) The collar tab of the SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger right ones were already "customized" to keep this department or the generic ones in 1944?
4) The uniform is correct? Is it a M-36?
5) Even the badges worn on the jacket are historically correct (see the distinctive anti-partisan)?
6) The insignia on the shoulders, what color are they?
7) The waffenfarbe what color would they be?

What do you think?
Should I make other changes?

Thanks to all, Dan
ealdwita

Re: SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger

Post by ealdwita »

I'll answer as many questions as I can.

The field cap is quite correct as it's a 'crusher' style.
The 'crossed rifles' patch was worn 1944-45. (An 'unauthorised' patch of crossed grenades also existed, 1945)
The tunic seems to be M36.
The epaullets are silver with the usual white waffenfarbe.

A point about the partisan badge. No-one in the brigade had it in gold (as in your picture). 3 officers had silver and 5 in bronze.

I hope this is of use to you.
zeigler

Re: SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger

Post by zeigler »

Also if this officer is supposed to be between 1942-1944 a bandenkampfabzeichen would be quite wrong. It was instituted in january 1944. The soldiers in divisions that have fought partisans for over 20 days before january 1944 had to apply for the medal. And since the medal was undesired for many reasons, very few applied for the award. I have heard of veterans from the Nordland division that applied for it but never wore it because if they would be captured, they would probably been killed right away or tortured.

How many BKA was awarded to the Dirlewanger unit?
Reenacting Regiment 24 "Danmark" in the Swedish group FHF
http://www.reenactor.se