WW II Luftwaffe ID please?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

cassarnold

WW II Luftwaffe ID please?

Post by cassarnold »

Hello,
This is a photo of my deceased mother's uncle, from East Prussia. He served in the Luftwaffe in WW II, and lived from 1918-1992. He later practiced as a dentist in Hamburg and was my Godfather. Thank you for including me in this forum. Hoping that someone may be able to identify this uniform?

thanks
Cassandra
Edi S. 1918-1992
Edi S. 1918-1992
EDI.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 5356 times
Scott Revell
Contributor

Re: WW II Luftwaffe ID please?

Post by Scott Revell »

Cassandra,

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of people that can and will help you in your search...so never give up. From the photo I can tell you that he was a Luftwaffe (Air Force) Officer. His rank in the photo is a Oberleutnant and he is a pilot. You tell by the fact he has been awarded the Flugzeugführerabzeichen (pliots Badge). He has also been decorated with the Iron Cross 1st Class and 2nd Class. This could be for an act or acts of bravery or shooting down a number of aircraft.

If you have any other photos, letters or documents then post pictures of them as well. This way we can find more infromation for you.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
cassarnold

Re: WW II Luftwaffe ID please?

Post by cassarnold »

Hi Scott,
Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I am in the beginning stages of my family history journey, and may post other pics as well. So glad to have found this forum!
-Cassandra