Uniform information please

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

bobbie

Uniform information please

Post by bobbie »

Hi All,
Can anyone help identify this uniform> He was very tall and had large feet, which could explain the shortness of the rifle. Otherwise we have no knowledge of which unit he was in.
Thanks in advance for your help. Bobbie
Attachments
Lübeck - Werner or Erwin 9 (Small).jpg
Lübeck - Werner or Erwin 9 (Small).jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 5474 times
John W. Howard

Re: Uniform information please

Post by John W. Howard »

I am going to bump this to see if we can give Bobbie some help; he really needs our help identifying this uniform. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John W. Howard
bobbie

Post by bobbie »

Hi All,
I am adding this information that I have from the Red Cross and had sent to John. He suggested that this might help in the identification:
<"... it might help if I gave you the military unit per the Red Cross. It's -56-le.A.E.A. 2 2/Leichte Artillerie Ersatz Abteilung. I translate that as light artillery reserve unit Department 2. What the 56 stands for, I don't know.
The Red Cross says that he most likely fell in January or February 1945 in the area of Schneidemühl (prussia) or northwest of there.
Also, he is supposed to have been very tall. Someone from my genealogy list indicated that the bits and pieces seem not to belong together. Did they give him stuff from different uniforms to get something that fit? Just a thought... I don't think he was an officer, but don't know that for sure.
Again thank you for your help. Bobbie">

I hope that this will help and again, thank you very much! :-) Bobbie
Wilhelm Kruger

Post by Wilhelm Kruger »

Bobbie:
If he was in the leichte artillerie, then that would explain the riding breeches and boots he's wearing, as he was probably in a horse-drawn unit. I also notice he wears some sort of cufftitle on his sleeve, but cannot read it. He appears to be SS, though I only say this due to what appears to be a deaths head on his cap, and the apparent lack of a breast eagle. Also, he looks to be wearing a pistol under his left arm. Note, however, that this picture isn't terribly plain to me, and my aging eyes give me trouble at times. Hope this was some help to you.
Regards,
Kruger
"Lay it close and keep it coming!" Erwin Rommel, 1916
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

I would say that this guy is not SS as the band looks to be one used for field manoeuvers , the lack of breast eagle could be down to the fact the photo is pre oct 1935 but like Herr Kruger says the photo could be a little better the tunic looks to be the M37 made longer
I cant see it the tunic is the prototype Reichsheer introduced some time in 1934
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei