waffen ss helmet question

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

stefanuccio

waffen ss helmet question

Post by stefanuccio »

hallo all
i would like to have some information about the waffen ss m35/40 helmet that has a double decal one per side
more specifically;
When was this helmet first introduced with the decals?
until when in the war is reasonable to see this helmet still in use with the decals by the waffen ss?
thanks for your help
stefano
Simon H
Associate

Re: waffen ss helmet question

Post by Simon H »

Hi Steffano,

The Model 35, as it's name suggests was produced from 1935 onwards, and as such would have had both decals on it. The Model '40 also would have had both decals applied.

The practice of removing the National Swastika symbol came about from '42 onwards.

However there is no hard rule for helmets with both decals not still being used, as I myself have an Ardennes SS helmet which has traces of both decals present. My own thoughts on this is that the helmet cover that had been originally fitted to the shell covered the decals and thus the owner had decided to "break the rules"!!
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio »

hallo simon
thanks for your excellent replay
ciao stefano
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Ciao Stafano,
Always glad to help.
Simon Harrold

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio »

hallo
what is the difference between an SS m35 helmet and an SS m/35/40 helmet?
was the m35/m40 helmet in use with the SS in summer 1941 durind operation Barbarossa?
when was the m35/40 helmet first introduced in use with the Waffen SS?
sorry for the many questions and thanks for your help
ciao stefano
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

stefanuccio wrote:hallo
what is the difference between an SS m35 helmet and an SS m/35/40 helmet?
was the m35/m40 helmet in use with the SS in summer 1941 durind operation Barbarossa?
when was the m35/40 helmet first introduced in use with the Waffen SS?
sorry for the many questions and thanks for your help
ciao stefano
The biggest difference between the the M35 and M40 helmets is that the holes for the vents on either side of the helmet have separate washers brazed onto the helmet shell on the M35. On the M40 these were not applied and the vents are formed as part of the pressing of the helmet shell.

Both M35 & M40 SS helmets would have been issued with both decals applied. Those produced after late '42 would not be issued with decals.

Yes both helmet types were in existence during the first Summer of Barbarossa, June '41. The M35 would have been issued from late '35 onwards. Others may know whether an exact date is documented.
Simon Harrold

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio »

hallo Simon
always vwry glad to receive your help
thanks for your knowlegeble explanation
ciao stefano :D
Airdale

Post by Airdale »

Hi Steffano, here are some specific answers to your questions.

The Model 35 helmet was accepted by the German armed forces on 25 June 1935. It had smooth paint and all service versions, including the Waffen SS, had 2 decals.

The Model 40 helmet was approved by the armed forces on 26 March 1940. The differences between the M-35 and M-40 were already described to you by Simon H. Both the Model 35 and the Model 40 were worn by soldiers throughout the entire war. Another version, with an unrolled rim, was introduced on 1 August 1942. This has been called by collectors as the Model 42. It was produced for the last 3 years of the war.

On the Waffen SS helmets, the swastika was ordered to be removed from the left side of the helmet on 21 March 1940. This was due to the combat experience in Poland, were the SS found the red target on the side of the helmet to be dangerous to the soldier. In spite of this order, many soldiers never removed the red party shield decal.

All helmets manufactured after March of 1940 would only have the SS rune decal applied, on the right side.

On 28 August 1943, the armed forces directed that no decals be placed on the helmets, and all helmets already in use were to have the decals removed. Many soldiers ignored this directive to remove the decals that were already on their helmets.

All helmets manufactured after 28 August 1943 would come from the factory with no decals on either side.
stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio »

hallo airdale
thank you very much for the load of specific answers i received from you
Your competence about this issue will help me very much in my reserch and studies
i really appreciate your help
thanks again ciao stefano :D