whats this?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

sebastian
Contributor

whats this?

Post by sebastian »

i got this a while now,and cannot say where it comes from,is it from a door or a little box ,or a locjer or something?Feedback would be appreciated!!

sebastian

im not a real good gothic encrypter,but i think the markings are: ss -hauptamt on top
below its not so easy :ausgateftelle? Feel free to copy the picture and zoom in if needed thx

seb
Attachments
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
united we stand,divided we fall
panzermahn
Associate

Re: whats this?

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Sebastian

I think its "Ausgabestelle" ("Issuing authority" according to Google Translate). I would like to think that it is like an authority tag but I could be wrong

Panzermahn
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

I was thinking at a kind of a seal or a tag to accompany a seal ? For example the outgoing mail from the SS-Hauptamt (SS Head Office / administration).
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I have my doubts about the authenticity of this piece. I am moving the thread to a section where it is more likely to be noticed by those with better knowledge of the subject matter.
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

i have a lifetime warranty on that piece,i bought it from a man with whos collection of ww1 and ww2 is unbelievable,he said its 100% genuine but was not sure what the use was,so i will be glad to hear what others have to say about it,i will try to post the back of it

Sebastian
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Sebastian - "Ausgabstelle" translates to something like Issuing Office or Supply Point. I have been collecting for over 30 years and I have never seen a piece like this. A couple of red flags are the poorly stamped eagle and the presence of the two swastikas on the sides.

John
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

sebastian wrote:i have a lifetime warranty on that piece,i bought it from a man with whos collection of ww1 and ww2 is unbelievable,he said its 100% genuine but was not sure what the use was,so i will be glad to hear what others have to say about it,i will try to post the back of it

Sebastian
I imagine his collection is indeed full of "unbelievable" pieces. If I were you, I would exercise your lifetime warranty and get your money back.

PK
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Paddy - Thanks for your valuable input.

Sebastian - Who was the dealer that sold you that piece? It would be good for the rest of us to know.

John
RaymondG

Post by RaymondG »

Hi

I actually bought one of these years ago for a couple of pounds and thought at the time it could be a sealing tag for bags.

The big red flags for me with it was the general poor quality of the item with no crispness of detail, but also the abundance of swastikas, which is usually a good indicator it is a fantasy piece.

As a person who actually has one somewhere, I would advise you return it if possible as I believe it never existed during the period.

Raymond
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

It comes from a guy that collect himself,but if you are of opinion that its a fake then i will go and get my money back,as it was not so expensive but i will go back and claim it that it never existed.Its not a dealer or a shop but a guy where i picked up some stuff before,or he is ignorant himself or just a fraud,never the less i will go back and hear what he has to say!Thanks for the help and feedback on this!!

Sebastian