What boots did panzer crew wear?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

jager2000

What boots did panzer crew wear?

Post by jager2000 »

Hi,

Can anyone confirm what boots panzer crew wore. Most of the pics I can find seem to suggest a low boot similar to the late war ankle boot but without the lace-up front, therefore looking like a short version of the normal marching boots. Any images would be welcome.

Regards

Jager2000
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

First of all lowboots weren't that late war, I believe the first model originated in 1942. For the majority low-boots were blackened and used by tankers. Occasionally a regular jackboot would be work with the trousers over it. I'm sure others would know more.
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

Initially they wore their trousers over the standard jackboot - there were drawstrings at the bottom to 'blouse' the trousers over the boots. Later they were issued lowboots but they did not apparently wear the gaiters as a norm. Information from the Osprey title 'Panzer Divisions'
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
jager2000

Post by jager2000 »

Thanks Liam
PzGrenRgt2

Post by PzGrenRgt2 »

Another point to make is that panzer crew as a general rule did not have hobnails on there boots either. Too slippery on the armor plate.

A veteran I am in contact with was in Mark III early in the war and ended the war as a Stug platoon leader. He ended the war in the Kurland pockets told me he had a privately purchased pair of Italian short boots that he used through out most of the war. Again without hobnails.

Arthur
The fox knows many tricks;
the hedgehog one good one.
- Archilochus
jager2000

Re: What boots did panzer crew wear?

Post by jager2000 »

Many thanks for the info, Arthur.