on the gas mask can

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

arshak

on the gas mask can

Post by arshak »

A question on the gas mask cilindrical can. was it always suspended to a leather (or similar) string (the one generally visible diagonally crossing the soldiers' chest) or it was possible to hang it through the D shaped rings like the ones on the bread bag? I'm short of photographic material at the moment but I'v found evidence only for the first choice....
thanks in advance
regards
fabrizio
timmy872
Supporter

Post by timmy872 »

the cannister has 2 straps. one long loop (can go over shoulders...) and a short one with hook type thing on end. the little one can be hung from just about anything you like athough normally the belt.
arshak

Post by arshak »

thank you so much. Indeed it often seems to be attached to an end through the long one and to the belt with the other one.
when attached only with the short one, the canister would hang vertically (as it is hooked only on one end)? thanks in advance
regards
fabrizio
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

I have also sen it hung around the neck on motorcycle riders.

Steiner
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

Post by Troy Tempest »

Hi Steiner! Speaking of gas mask cannisters, I bought an as-new gas mask and cannister from a guy in Norway. He got it from one of the German depots after the war. It is in fantastic condition, the only thing it is missing is the spare lenses that clipped into the lid. I'll post a photo of it soon!
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

Why was the gas mask can metal? All the others I've seen are fabric, of some sort or other. Was the German respirator more fragile than the Allied versions?
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

Post by Troy Tempest »

I'm no expert, but I guess for rigidity purposes? The rough and tumble of the field would allow a gasmask to be more easily damaged in a fabric bag? Besides, the ribbed cannister looks VERY cool! 8)
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie