Why so many uniforms and insignia's?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

AJAB

Why so many uniforms and insignia's?

Post by AJAB »

I purchased a book so I could try to identify the rank, insignia, and badges of the German soldiers in war movies. No way! Is their any particular reason why the German military had so many different colored uniforms, complicated insignia and emblem designs? Is it like that in the current military?
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

That's the military for you.

The German army itself i don't think is any more or less complicated than other armies. Less complicated than the German army of WWI for sure.

However, you also need to remember that uniforms were the in thing in nazi Germany. Postmen, hunting and forestry officials, diplomats you name it. I think a lot of the confusion stems from that. Many people see a uniform and think military.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Not just Nazi Germany, but Germany in general. From the late 19th century to the prsent day, Germany has always had lots of uniforms and insignia. The military has always been considered an honorable profession and served as the model for many non-military organizations.
stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

Actually it is fairly easy for Heer and Lft.

Except for movies, who frequently do not care about getting it right.

For enlisted, trim on bottom of collar of field uniform, NCO.

Pips and trim on shoulder boards denote actual rank.

Officers to Colonel (Oberst) all have same collar design. Different design for shoulder boards for company grade officer Lt-Hauptman and for field officers Major to Oberst, Again pips denote actual rank.

Jeff