Regimental Numbers on Epaulettes

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Kev

Regimental Numbers on Epaulettes

Post by Kev »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me

1. If all regiments had their numbers showing on the epaulettes of their troops?

2. Did all ORs wear the numbered epaulettes?

My reason for asking is that I have some photos of my grandfather who was a Feldwebel and I cannot see any nmbers on his epauletes at all.

I was also thinking that as he was moved between regiments and divisions quite a lot, IR58., of 6 I/Div., IR454., of 254 I/Div., and IR586., of 320 I/Div. this practice may have been stopped when looked at on the larger scale of all the men transferred throughout the Wehrmacht.

Regards,

Kev
Marko 7-19

Post by Marko 7-19 »

Hi Kev,

Re: Question 1 : I don't think it was common practice in the later stages. I have seen some older pictures where the regimental numbers are there. From what I understand, for the most part, not everyone had it. It may have been kept for parade uniforms, but I would think less so in the field.

Perhaps some of the other veterans here can give a first hand opinion from their experiences.

What does OR stand for?
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

What does OR stand for?

It stands for Other Ranks.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Marko 7-19

Post by Marko 7-19 »

Kev .. thanks for the pm.

OR=Other ranks. lol .. so much new jargon, so little brain space I have to store it :wink:

I agree .. for research sake, those epaulette numbers would help. As for the field, I wonder if it was better to not have them in order to minimize enemy knowledge, although I don't know how much difference that would make. I remember talking to my father about erkennungsmarks, where he commented something about the strict use of numbers without names and "the less the enemy knew, the better".

Cheers
joscha
WWII Vet

Post by joscha »

When I was a recruit in Summer of 1940, the epaulettes already were blank. Certain units, GD for instance, kept the regimental/divisional designation on their epaulettes, but they were in subdued colors(i.e., grey-on-grey).

So, if a soldier of the NCO or lesser ranks had an old (peace-time) uniform, he would have both the dark green collar, as well as the unit designation on his epaulettes. The same applies to the reichsadler.

For a very good example of what I am talking about, go to
http://www.torweihe.de/alterhase.jpg

Hope this helps you. Joscha
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

My fathers epaulettes showed his Regiments number, 21, during the period of his National Service, 1936 - 38. No sign of it during his war years. Would think that it's a security measure, not to mention the work involved.
Wee.G

Post by Wee.G »

As far as I understand the unit numbers were common on parade uniforms and pre-war uniforms. During WW2 the numbers were removed to prevent unit information being passed easily to the enemy. As Hans said; Security.

Hope this is of use.

Graeme