jackboot restoration. Opinions etc?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

someone

jackboot restoration. Opinions etc?

Post by someone »

Hey people. Its someone again.

I got a pair of jackboots a while ago. They used to belong to a collector, so one of the boots had a hole in it from where the dummy they were on attached to the floor.

I didint really look at them that much. They stood here for a day or two and then i took them to a boot repair guy.

Well, after an extensive restoration, they are back. And i gotto say they look great.

I dont really know much about jackboots. I'v got alot of boots, but they are all post wwii lace up combat boots. This is the 1st time i'v ever encountered a boot without laces.

Anyway. Here goes.

Could anyone suggest as to the origin of these boots? All i know is german and wwii. But, there are several things i'm not sure about.

The seller said they are officers boots. He had another pair of normal soldier jackboots, which were shorter than these. There was also a 3rd pair. They were thesame height as these only alot tighter...like 1900's riding boots.

In the end i got these. The soldier boots looekd too small for me, and the ''riding boots'' style were too degraded, and only really good for dispaly.

So, hers a few pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... 010076.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... 010075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... 010077.jpg

What do you think?

I got several questions:

- what do you guys think of the repair. The metal bits are completly un-original, but they will do untill i find some real hobnails and fittings. Main thing is they are wearable.

-Does anyone know what exactly these boots are? Are they really officers boots?

-I cant find any sort of label or markings. Any idea where to look? Or is it possible that they were just not marked.

-What were the tighter fitting boots i saw in the shop, that looked more like riding boots? Are they a higher rank or something? Or maybe they are geuine officer boots and these are just taller infantry boots?

Any general info is also appreciated.

Thanks alot for your time

-Someone
I am someone. You do not know me. (probably).
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

I can't believe a collector would drill a hole in a pair of original boots! Anyway, too late to worry about that now, and since they were already compromised when you acquired them, there's no harm in wearing them out now.

They look similar to German WW2 jackboots, but they've been repaired with modern materials, including, apparently, a complete resoling, so only the uppers are left of the original boots. As the sole construction is one of the keys to identifying their origin, it's very hard to be certain of anything now! Do you have any pictures of the soles taken before the repairs? Then I could be sure.

There were no standard issue officers' boots in the German Army of WW2. Officers bought their own boots privately, or used standard enlisted men's boots. These are not a specific officer's type, as such a thing did not exist. However, officers were more likely to wear a combination of tight fitting high leg riding boots with breeches than other ranks. This has led to the common misconception that all riding boots were "officers' boots". In any case, yours are not riding boots. Riding boots were close fitting at the calf to avoid chafing when mounted, and had to be worn with breeches as there was no room inside the calf for trousers.

In contrast to privately purchased riding boots, there were two types of standard issue enlisted men's jackboots used during WW2: pre-1939 pattern with a high leg, and post-1939 pattern with a shortened shaft to economise on leather. Your pair of jackboots resembles the earlier pattern. This is what an unquestionably original pair looks like:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H036356.html

Notice the shape of the narrow toe section, and the wooden pegged construction soles.

Because of the modern soles and rounder toe shape, it's difficult to be sure of their precise origin. I have some doubts that they are actually wartime production, although I can't say for sure that they are not. Many countries produced jackboots that look superficially or even very similar to German WW2 ones, for many years after the war. In any case, they look the part, and I hope they prove very serviceable.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I have one question to ask, and it relates to your photo no. 2.

Where the uppers join the lower part of the boot at the front, is the 'thumb shaped' part of the boot overlapping the upper part of the boot, or is the upper overlapping the lower?

I good indicator whether they are original, or repros of originals, or post-war Bundeswehr, is where the overlap occurs. Bundy boots overlap the lower at the front whereas with originals the lower (foot part) overlaps the uppers at the front and stitching is on the outside.

Also, originals didn't have stitching showing where the sole met the uppers.

Examples below:

Original style:-

Image[/img]

Bundy style (please ignore the back strap):-

Having studied your boots, to me they appear to be post-war wachtbattalion style boots.