Gebirgsjager Anorak colors

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

thoth69

Gebirgsjager Anorak colors

Post by thoth69 »

What colors and/or camo patterns was the three pocket reversible anorak produced in? I know that one side was white--what about the other side? Did the 6th SS Gebirgs ever have an oak pattern on the reverse side?

Thanks

Steve
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The GJ anorak of which you write was, I think, only produced in white and green (reversible). After that, the standard Heer splinter/white reversible "parka" was adopted, although it wasn't a "parka" as we know them today. As for the Waffen-SS, they created their own version of the reversible Heer "parka" in 1944. But as far as I know, and I'd be happy to be corrected in the interests of learning more, the GJ anorak was quite a simple white/green affair of a pullover design.

PK
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Steve, I've not seen any images of 6.SS-Nord wearing the GJ anorak.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

Whilst the greenish/white reversible anorak was the standard colour, there is some evidence for the production of this item in other camouflage patterns in very small numbers.

For instance, Beaver and Borsarello's book "Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS," which also has a Wehrmacht section, carries a modern colour photograph of an original Heer anorak, produced to the standard Gebirgsjager cut, in tan water pattern material. Page 273. It states that: "limited numbers were produced in camouflage".

Regarding SS camouflage patterns, there may have been some limited production of the anorak in oakleaf pattern, but this is not certain. Daniel Peterson in "Waffen SS Camouflage Uniforms and Post-War Derivatives" provides a modern colour photo of an oakleaf anorak and says: "This oakleaf camouflage version of the mountain troops' anorak is undocumented, so probably field-made; however, the author knows of at least three examples and has heard of a wartime photo, so they may have been made in quantity. It is fully reversible, [from green spring side to brown autumn side] and otherwise identical to the standard brown-to-white mountain anorak". Page 33.

There is nothing in any of my reference books linking such WSS camouflage anoraks to any particular unit, however.
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

It's worth mentioning that Heer units in Finland often made use of SS camo smocks during the summer months. Very useful for the long range patrol work they carried out in the dense Finnish forests.
jwai

Post by jwai »

Are the anoraks you guys are talking about look like this?

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages ... /u135a.htm

When I was Googling for the colours used on these uniform pieces, I got things like tan, field grey, forest green, grey, and even some claims that there were a small number produced with camo patterns.

Which colour are those anoraks really?
Slobo

Post by Slobo »

I've been greatly interested in this GJ anorak since picking up a repro on E-bay a year or so ago (lighter-coloured, almost khaki bit apparently withing the "range" of field grey, et. etc.).

Was wondering if anyone has seen photographic or other reputable evidence of NON-GJ Heer units wearing these as some reports I've seen evidently suggest was practice from mid-war on, and also whether WSS units ever wore (in field grey, non-camo, reversible to white form)?
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Post by BergführerKiser »

Grüß Gott Gebirglers,

The Gebirgsjäger Windbluse (anorak) is probably my most favorite piece of clothing ever made. The most prevalent colors that it was produced in were Beige/White and Olive-Green/White. I have also seen them in other colors and a few in camo. Here are a few in my collection:

Berg Heil!
Mit einem Kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick

Always looking for Gebirgsjäger & Muli (pack-mule) items.
Slobo

Post by Slobo »

BergführerKiser -- great photos! Thanks. Anyone know if the windbluse/anorak was general issue beyond just gebirgsjaeger? I'm particulalry interested in 1942-on.
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Servus Slobo und Bergkameraden,

I have seen photos of Fallschirmjägers in Italy wearing them. Also, Jäger and Skijäger troops were issued them. I have not seen evidence of other troops wearing them.

Dort, wo der Adler haust!

Patrick

Slobo

Post by Slobo »

Thanks. Anyone know if Waffen SS units ever wore the Heer's grey-white windbluse anorak?
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Grüß Gott Slobo,

The only evidence that I have seen of WSS wearing the Heer Gebirgsjäger Windbluse comes from some photos of WSS Gebirgsjägers training at the Gebirgskampfschule in Neustift im Stubaital, Tirol (Austria). I have not seen them wearing it anywhere else.

Berg Heil und Horrido!

Patrick

Ernst-H
Supporter

Post by Ernst-H »

The Polizei also used this anorak
Slobo

Post by Slobo »

Ernst-H wrote:The Polizei also used this anorak
Ernst -- visited your great site. Thanks! I see there the photo of polizei in the SS anorak. Can you confirm they also wore the Heer anorak as pictured above? Also, would this have been limited to Hochgebirgs Gendarmerie or other Gendarmerie and Schutzpolizei units as well?
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

I have a few pics of an anorak to share. It HAS been modified: crotch strap removed, rear pockets removed(although the flaps are still there!). Nice condition. In one of the chest pockets I found a receipt (Russian I think) dated 1959.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/ ... 183580.pbw[/img]