Berets Part I

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Reb,

To go completely off thread - I hate berets!

They look like a cow turd sliding off the top of one's head. If you look carefully they even have the same concentric rings as a cow turd.

Instead to renaming French Fries as Freedom Fries, the US should have struck back at French cultural influence by banning berets! (I was about to suggest a return to the kepi worn by both sides in the US Civil War, but on second thoughts that would only compound the problem.)

Cheers,

Sid.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Why Sid - before I joined up I always used to wear a cow turd on my head! 8)

I liked the beret myself but for the bush usually stuck with my lucky baseball cap. (to the disgust of certain anal types in the chain of command)

But my beret is still with me - when I xferred to RAR I sewed my RhACR insignia on the green beret. My wife surprised me by wearing it to our wedding!

I guess the debate will go on for ever - to some, like me, the beret is the obvious military headgear - to others, perhaps with more sense, the forage cap variants are preffered.

Maybe we should all compromise on the baseball cap! Doesn't blow off the head, doesn't constrict blood to the brain, and DOES offend officious superiors!

cheers
Reb
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

[OFFTOPIC]I must say, I hate barrets as well always having preferred the simple fieldcap. But according to some myth, barrets do look good. I really wonder who has managed to convince so many military organisations of that nonsense.[/OFFTOPIC]
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

welll..... with a beret you pull it on and flatten it to one side; with a cap or field cap in modern, peace-time armies you have angles of brims, position, all THAT anally-retentive rubbish LOL
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

I have started a new thread on berets in the uniform section, as I fear I have contibuted to diverting a good thread here.

Cheers,

Sid.
John W. Howard

Damn!!

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Gents:
Sid, you beat me to the punch!! This technically challenged moderator was going to split the thread, but you started a new one!!! Still, I don't think two beret threads will hurt!! Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Personally I prefer the slouch hat and was mortified when I transferred to an armoured unit and was required to wear a beret. Still, there's next to no maintenance and you can always wrap your sandwiches in it.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Well, I suppose that when you haven't worn a red beret, you might feel that way...
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Paddy,

I suppose you get attached to whatever you wear first. To wear THE red beret, well that's one thing, you have to earn it. For an infantry anti-tank commander to lead armoured vehicles, and in a black beret was quite another, it simply came with the vehicles.

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

It doesn't matter what the colour of the beret, the effect is always the same - a cow pat sliding off one side of the head.

Why was it adopted? I presume we have the French chasseurs alpins to blame for it originally, but who was the practical joker who allowed the infection to spread amongst the Anglo-Saxon and other armies?

Cheers,

Sid.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

sid guttridge wrote:... but who was the practical joker who allowed the infection to spread amongst the Anglo-Saxon and other armies?
An Anglophobic agent provocateur? In deep, deep cover?

Cover! Get it??? :D I kill me! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Hans

i wouldn't say the black beret comes with the equipment. I was not allowed to wear until I completed some pretty serious training and had in effect - earned it!

However - in the Rhodesian Army the loyalty point was less to the beret than to stable belt in regimental colours. That too, had to be earned!

My happiest moment was when I realized my armour belt was a chick magnet! 8) Struck me as odd but what the hell!

cheers
Reb
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Hi Reb,

Mine just came with the equipment. I was so naive about armoured vehicles I didn't even realise why it took two men to carry a battery. When I lost the front of my uniform to battery acid I learned a very valuable lesson and my men thought I was a "good bloke" for trying to show them how it was done. Anyway I learned, but the black beret came "before" the wisdom.

- Cheers - Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Hans

Sounds to me like you earned it anyway brother!

cheers
Reb
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Reb,

Lucky the acid only ate the uniform! :D :D

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID