Pre WW2 Iron Cross

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

watchdog811

Pre WW2 Iron Cross

Post by watchdog811 »

Forgive my ignorrance, I belive that during WW1 and WW2 the Iron Cross had 1914 1939 within the cross. If any Iron Crosses were awarded before the start of WW2 ie

Saar Occupation 1935

Rhineland Occupation 1936

Spanish Civil War 1936-39

Austrian Occupation 1938

Sudetenland Occupation 1938

Czechoslovak Occuptation 1939

What year if any was put inside the cross?
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

I would like to recommend two links, they will answer ALL your (often asked) questions:

1. (G) http://www.deutsche-ehrenzeichen.de/deu ... _page2.htm

2. (E) http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron_cr ... ssmain.htm

Michael
mightythor99
Enthusiast

crosses for those?

Post by mightythor99 »

nope, none.
saar occupation, nothing given out, other then some tinnies, for parades. rhineland, nope, nothing.
spanish civil war.............there is a spanish medal given out for "victory". a spanish cross, bronze, silver, or gold, given to the luftwaffe for certain actions, .................. and wound badges given out as well. different then wwi ones, and different then later wwii ones too.
austrian and cz occupation medals, yes, no crosses though.
nothing special for 1939 in cz either.
iron crosses were given out first in 1813, for helping toss rocks at the french as they retreated from russia, then in 1870-71 for the franco prussian war. those are also dated (on the back) 1813, as are the wwi iron crosses, and wwii iron crosses. all wwi iron crosses are dated 1914, and all wwii iron crosses are dated 1939.
the iron crosses for teh bundeswehr (issued in 1957) missing the swastika, and i dont think (but cant say 100% for sure) there have been any other iron crosses issued since 1945ish.
also, if the troops went into prague in 1938, they were given a special bar, on the ribbon, for prague.
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Paddy Keating

Re: crosses for those?

Post by Paddy Keating »

Just a couple of remarks. The Spanish Cross was awarded to naval and ground forces as well as the Legion Condor. The "1936 pattern" Wound Badge was identical to its WW1 counterpart but had a swastika on the helmet. In many cases, the dies were simply modified. This type of Wound Badge was awarded in WW2 until stocks ran out. One silver grade badge was awarded for Spain and less than a hundred of the black grade.

The Prussians did rather more than "toss rocks" at the French as they retreated from Russia. The 1957 issue was not for the Bundeswehr as such. It was for WW2 veterans who had received the 1939 cross and who had been accepted into the Bundeswehr. The 1957 issue is really the 1939 issue but with the triple oakleaf spray replacing the swastika to render the cross legally wearable. A lot of WW2 awards were reissued in 1957 in denazified form.

PK