Iron Cross Question

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

hist2313

Iron Cross Question

Post by hist2313 »

Hello Fellows:

Since you guys are the experts, I thought I would ask...

I was given (and have) an Iron Cross. This was given to me by a friend who got it from her uncle who "took it from the dead body of a German Oficer" in 1944.

Now, this Iron Cross is a WW I Iron Cross. It has the "W" and "1914" stamped on it.

I have seen many images of the EK and this one is a bit different. While the "standard" EK has the "round hole" mounted on top in such a way that the "round hole" "goes the same way as the top part of the cross" (damn, I wish I could post a picture).

On this EK the "attatching ring" is perpendicular to the top line of the EK.
This is obviously a modification of the EK.

Now, if I am clear, I assumed this was an EK II. But why the heck would a "German Officer" be found with a WW I EK II on his body in such a way that a GI would find it? It cannot be an EK I as there is no pin or whatnot to attatch it to a uniform.

My question is, how did this come to be? I read somewhere on this site that in combat officers with the Knights Cross would wear a EK I or II in place of the Knights Cross so as not to lose it.

Is it possible that this was taken from the body of a Knights Cross holder? I imagine veterans might have insight.

I hope I have been clear about this!

Thanks ahead of time guys.

I am speculating that
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

German Officer's who were veterans of WWI would keep there WWI Iron Crosses.

My Great-Uncle had the exact same story. He took a WWII EK (2nd Class with the ribbon still attached) from a captured German Officer during the D-Day landing.

Have any photos of this?
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt