NCO 'TRESSE'

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Kev

NCO 'TRESSE'

Post by Kev »

Hi All,

I was told that there is a difference between the collar Tresse of an Unterofficier and a Feldwebel.

I have looked at numerous photos, but cannot see any difference!

Am I missing something obvious?

Regards,

Kev. :shock:
joscha
WWII Vet

NCO Tressen

Post by joscha »

No, you aren't missing anything; your eyesight is fine.

The only difference would be that an "Unteroffizier" had an open bottom on his epaulettes, while the "Unterfeldwebel"had that opening closed. The Feldwebel hadone pip.

My 1.7 cents (US). Joscha
"Move, you ^77&%#4@0(*! You wanna live forever?" - Primus sergentus in the VIIth Roman Legion.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey guys!

I believe that Kev was actually referring to the "Collar Tabs" and not the rank insignia on the "shoulder straps". Is that right?

Anyways, I believe Joscha answered the question anyways as I do not think there is a difference in the collar tabs. Well, I am not too sure but the following site contains much detailed information on the uniforms that I believe can help answer Kev's question.

http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Paul Hanson
Contributor

NCO collar tresse

Post by Paul Hanson »

Kev;

It took a lot of looking but I would say no. In 1938 Heer Fallschirmjäger officers were authorized to wear a rank system on their jump smocks sleeves and NCO's wore a tresse and pip system on the collar. The Unteroffizier tress runs down the collar front and then only 8cm along the bottom of the collar. All other NCO's had tress down the collar and all around the bottom; with a series of pips to indicate their rank.

Other than Fallshirmjäger, all ranks of NCO in the Heer(and W-SS) wore the tress continuous down the collar and around the bottom of the collar. I myself have not found a photo so far in my books of a Unteroffizier with short tress on his collar(although this is no guarantee that it didn't happen.)

Angolia and Schlicht, Davis, and Mollo; plus a bunch of photos in other books, all show NCO tress the same for all Unteroffiziers as for all other ranks of NCO.

PH