Most veteran forum member?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Henrik Krog
Contributor

Most veteran forum member?

Post by Henrik Krog »

Traffic seems to be somewhat slow. How about we see how long we have been on Feldgrau (or, in my case, Feldgrau and its predecessors), and how we found out about Jasons site?

I found it back in 1997 when I was in business school. I had just found this neat thing called the internet (today I cant see how I ever did without), and to begin with just used it to chat and that kind of crap.

By that time, however, I had also gotten to the bottom of the WWII-related books in my regional libraries, so I thought I would give the web a chance. And there she was, Jasons site.

I actually was so excited to begin with that I printed the whole thing. I only parted with the print-outs 6 months ago, when I moved in with my girlfriend (girlfriends have that power :-)

Over the years, the forum(s) have given me an opportunity to learn a lot, has/have helped me to improve my english a lot, and I met some great people here. I have even been out to visit some of them, among others across the pond in Canada.

Personally, I think the forum was better back when we had all topics in one. Sure, it took some policing, but overall I think scrolling through a miscellany of posts on different topics was more interesting than having to go into a variety of forums on different stuff. Also, when you spread out traffic, some of the forums inevitably are going to die of slow traffic.

Rant aside, how about you others??

Henrik
Piet Duits
Associate

1995, or 1996

Post by Piet Duits »

Can't remember exactly, but I found this site (read: its predecessor) by accident at the library.
Back then I was a complete novice into the hobby, and did get some titles from books by a collegue which weren't available in a general library.
The internet brought solution!

All in all, it costed me a lot of money back then (after the library I got connected by telephone, and that was really expensive then).

Getting back to the novice issue: I still have some material that I printed back then, and it is really obvious that I have learned a lot since then.

Most of the guys who were frequent visitors back then are gone.
Leo N., Bob Mackenzie, Gert, Hans N. (Luftwaffe Kurland-veteran), Joachim, George Nafziger, and many more.

Ah, those were the days :)

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Henrik, I have to admitt that I frequented and posted on this site more when it was under the old format. Somehow the flavor of site has vanished.

Remember the "Sewer rats"? The old "what if's" - that you especially excelled at.

I found this site in or around 1999. Its still one of my favorites, though again, I find that the excitement and flavor of the site has diminished.

Sam
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I was originally pointed to the site in 1997. However, due to life situations, etc., I had to leave it shortly after I found it! :oops: I've been trying to stay as active as possible since I came back, though!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

I did prefer it in the old format, but it's still a great site. It's the equivalent of a good old conversation/argument in the pub. I do sort of hope that some of the banned 'loonies' are reinstated as what they wrote was always good for a laugh if nothing else. Maybe i'm a loonie myself?
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
Henrik Krog
Contributor

Post by Henrik Krog »

I am definitely a loonie myself.......I guess Im just better at disguising it :-)

I agree, though: the loonies were nice. Its not them that are the big problem, as much as it is that people react to them. It just drags good people down into the mud.

Speaking of which: I havent seen the Commissar for some time....am I just not looking close enough?

Henrik
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Henrik Krog wrote:Speaking of which: I havent seen the Commissar for some time....am I just not looking close enough?
Check your closet.... He's probably hiding a bug!! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

1996 when I "discovered" the internet. Mainly on the computers available for students when I was a history student here in Amsterdam (way before I had internet available at home).

Early members: what ever happened to Gerard Verhoef (NISSID)?
Former member
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

Starting back to fall 1997, I think I qualify among the veterans, although I haven't posted much on this new and awkward forum. I remember most of the veteran and now MIA contributors mentioned above, I would like to add Dr. Leo Niehorster, who was a very knowledgeable contributor.

I was just wondering what happened to Herb/Ken........
Bill Medland
Supporter

Post by Bill Medland »

when I hooked up to the internet, four years ago, this was the first site I found. I posted a lot then, and have only recently come back.
Like some of the others I liked the old format and remember it well.
What ever happened to "Brian von Staufenberg" and "Stefan"?

As for being looney, well, I never was? Your armbands, jackboots and moustaches are in the post!! :D

Regards,Bill Medland.
Scott Swindle

Post by Scott Swindle »

I used to post all the time in the old Soldatenheim; this is the first time in about a year I've posted. The old forum had a lot of spontaniety that this site is missing...you could post on the old forum, wait 5 minutes, hit refresh, and have 5 or 6 posts in reply. I remember all of us talking after September 11, when we were all still just stunned. It was better than any chat room. I miss the old forum. By the way, I've seen that type forum on some other web sites, anybody know what that's called?
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
I was actually here in 97 as well.

B
Paul
Banned

Post by Paul »

i remember the old format..................i some what miss it still.

I really can not remeber how i found this site............i guess maybe through a search engine...................and im still here.....

well sometimes.
Where did all the "Good" people go?
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Timo

Funny, you should ask the question
what ever happened to Gerard Verhoef (NISSID)?

I have been wondering this myself for a year now?
Annelie

Forum

Post by Bittrich »

I guess I'm going to be in the minority who like the new forum compared to the old. I also remember the older one, but like the organization of this style.

It's probably because I'm one of those everything has a place organized type people. Not to say the rest of you guys are not neat and organized.

I find this style easier to specifically search for certain topics. For example I can't tell you guys when the last time I seached the Kreigsmarine or Luftwaffe section.

Those are my thoughts, by the way I found the site during a search back in 1999 as well.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality