WWII-related movies you would like to see made

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Kriegspieler1672

Post by Kriegspieler1672 »

Personally, I would love to see a movie about Otto Skorzeny's career. That would certainly make for an action packed couple hours.
If crime did not pay, there would be very few criminals.
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

How about a movie in which the aftermath of WWI and the turbulent years of the Weimar Republic are explored?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Kriegspieler1672

Freiritter, I just had to say that was a great idea, starting say at the conference for ToV and ending maybe with the Beer Hall Putsch.
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Well, I was thinking maybe along this line: Start with the collapse of the Imperial German Army on the Western Front. Then progress along to the late 1920s/early 1930s with the attempts by Schleicher to keep the Weimar Republic afloat and end with the death of Hindenburg and the rise of Hitler.

Cordially,

Freiritter
Kriegspieler1672

Kewl idea. Now that I would gladly lay down $8 to see.
Fish
Contributor

Movies

Post by Fish »

Well here is my list I 'd like to see;
A new Battle of the Bulge movie
An Afrika Korps movies with panzers maybe the Gazala Battle May 42 (Think how easy it would be to make with nothing but desert and just the Brits and German tankers fighting it out).
A German Band of Brothers type film set on the east front, maybe even the Guy Sajer book redone.
Battle of Berlin on a big budget scale with the Germans Russians Americans and British all being portrade

No doubt the film to be produced by the US and UK film industry as the others will never sell unless maybe to a small "cult" audience
Defintely no Travolta, Pitt, Farrell etc need the new fresh faces and maybe an older actor to give a creditable appearance or two. Not like Travolta as the general in Thin Red Line that was enough to make the hardest veterans sick.

I did hear that Tom Selleck (Magnum PI) is going to do Eisenhower for A&E channel in the US. I do not see that being as creditable as Duval a few years ago. As a Navy Seal no better actor but Ike come on.

Regards
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
The Fighting Egg

Post by The Fighting Egg »

warlover wrote:I'd been thinking a good movie would be a story that follows both a German and Allied soldier seperately as protagonists who end up coming face to face. It would be a real testament to the brutality of war. You make the audience like both characters and in the end one of them ends up killing the other.
I had the idea about a german soldier fighting in normandy. After some time he gets shot by an american soldier. After that the movie is about him. Then after normandy in.. Well lets say battle of the bulge, maybe arnhem, or something, he gets killed by a german. Then after that the movie is about him, the german, again. Maybe the two germans knewed eachother or something. That would imo maybe be a great movie.

Sorry for my english :wink: Im just 14 and from sweden :wink:
The Fighting Egg

Post by The Fighting Egg »

Edelweiss. wrote:Perhaps a film made in the mould of Das Boot, but instead of a U-Boat, this film would be told from the view of a single Luftwaffe bomber and/or fighter squadron, and the individual members of such a squadron. Perhaps the coverage could include the Battle of France/Battle of Britain/North Africa/Italy/Eastern Front...

Thinking about it, it would probably be more plausible for the film to focus on one specific campaign, my personal preference being North Africa. Has this been done before?

Regards,
Edelweiss
Seen mamphis belle?
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Memphis Belle almost makes U-571 seem believable.

Doc
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

I thought Memphis Belle was a good look at the USAAF bomber crews in WWII. At the end credits, there was a dedication to the airmen, on both sides, that fought in the air war in WWII. I'd have to say, that Das Boot was the best WWII movie ever made.

Cordially,

Freiritter
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

I wasn't reffering to it's generality, but to it's historical accuracy as to the crew, the mission etc.

Doc
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Doc, at least Memphis Belle was plausable. U-571 was straight out of a comic book.
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

That's true, the crew, except for the pilot in part, weren't based on the actual crew. Also, the crew of the Memphis Belle never suffered a wound, according to the U.S. Army.

Cordially,

Freiritter
Cemal Belgin

Post by Cemal Belgin »

I would love to see a remake of the Heydrich assassination movie, I think it was "Hangmen Also Die".

But it would be a fine tune if it gave a little more insight about Heydrich and possibly add a little mystery based on a plot by Heydrich to take over the Reich and with Himmler being aware of this, he would be ordering the Gestapo not to move a finger even though they were aware of the assassination.

Dustin Hoffman or Michael Keaton would play Himmler and Gary Busey would play Heydrich. (My best bet for Heydrich role would be Ed Harris, but he is too short)

Any other suggestions for actors to take role are very welcome.

Cheers
Le Paradis

Post by Le Paradis »

Would really like to be able to see the film "Private Pooley"; the movie was originally released in 1962.............don't think it has ever been copied or released onto video.

http://movies.go.com/movies/P/privatepo ... index.html

also released in the US under the title 'The Survivor'

http://www.jer-cin.org.il/intercolldramatics.htm

Don't think it's ever likely that we'll see this film resurrected though....