WWII-related movies you would like to see made

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

I'd like to see a German "Band of Brothers"-style mini-series, myself. Hopefully in German with English subtitles.

Unit? A Panzer unit, natch. Probably Pz. Rgt. 15 of the 11th Panzer Division.

Yours,
Paul
sturm und drang

Post by sturm und drang »

I'd like to see a movie about Adolf Hitler, finally!! I understand that this is a difficult subject, but...
I hope to see it.
Ciao
Vae victis!
Sam Moniac

Post by Sam Moniac »

Guy Sajer's book, "The Forgotten Soldier" should be broken up and made into 3 movies.
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

No offense to anyone but i think i think just about any big budget film on WWII where there wasn't sight nor sound of an american would make a welcome change. I know the Finns have made some good films and there have been one or two others but i'm talking big budget here, a la SPR\Pearl Harbour level.

:)
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

No, I'm not offended, Simon. I'd be delighted to see a WWII "epic" where the Americans aren't shown, and none of the actors cast are Americans.

Yours,
Paul
LukeMiguez

Post by LukeMiguez »

I would like to see a movie on the scale of perhaps "The Longest Day" or "A bridge too far" with a large cast of stars on The Battle of the Bulge. because the movie with Henry Fonda and Robert Shaw doesn't live up to it's potential. :? Or a Movie on the Battle of Berlin.
UN_Soldier

WW II Movies

Post by UN_Soldier »

I'd be delighted to see a WWII "epic" where the Americans aren't shown, and none of the actors cast are Americans.
I too would be enthused, Of course that would be the only way to exclude popular american actor's as I couldn't very much well see Mel Gibson or John Travolta playing as a German Soldier... lol.
-------------
"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law breaker, it breeds contempt for the law."
-Justice Louis D. Brandeis
Dackelstaffel
Contributor

Post by Dackelstaffel »

John Travolta as a german soldier !!!
I can imagine that like "staying alive in Berlin", "Saturday night fever in Stalingrad", "Grease your gun" ...
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket.
Banned

WWII-related movies you would like to see made

Post by 1871 »

I agree with Simon Orchard.

No American, British or French directors. No preconceived notions. No actors in German colours falling down on que.

Maybe a truthful film on Monte Cassino, where the German paratroopers taught the Americans and British a severe lesson on defensive military doctrine.
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

Indeed this is a great idea (why haven't I checked this part of the forum yet? A Band of Brothers epic from some Axis perspective would be a great idea. It would show the Nationalism (or just patriotism) of the volunteer soldiers (sure most the the Heer was conscripted) who fought for Germany, not Hitler or any ideological belief. Also in the epic, it would be good to follow the career of an entire squad (with replacements, lets be realistic) through the war,as the ideas change from fighting for Germany to fighting to save each others lives and to survive the war.
Granted these movies should not be an opposite of the older American films (crack SS soldier with a rifle carefully aims and misses the US soldier, who whips out his pistol and blast him from 75 meters...I think that was in "A Bridge Too Far").
Also the US war movies teed to pick on the British, so why not a WW1 Battle of Tanga!
tirola
Supporter

Post by tirola »

A film about Narvik! There is enough plot and exitement for several volumes!

But I also LOVE the idea of well developed Americans AND Germans facing each other in Normandy. And at the movie's climax everybody dies.
Das Reich
Supporter

Post by Das Reich »

How about a movie about the Desert Foxes and Rommel fighting the British. Sort of a World War II equivalent to Lawrence of Arabia.
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

Indeed this is a great idea (why haven't I checked this part of the forum yet? A Band of Brothers epic from some Axis perspective would be a great idea. It would show the Nationalism (or just patriotism) of the volunteer soldiers (sure most the the Heer was conscripted) who fought for Germany, not Hitler or any ideological belief. Also in the epic, it would be good to follow the career of an entire squad (with replacements, lets be realistic) through the war,as the ideas change from fighting for Germany to fighting to save each others lives and to survive the war.

Could not agree more. This would indeed be very interesting.

Cheers,

Christian
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

Indeed, there should be a Band of Brothers type movie, or mini-series about every nation who fought in the war. There really hasn't been enough media put out about the other nations. Most WW2 movies and mini-series put the British in a real bad light, they're almost made to seem as incompetent as the Germans! Also Spielburg shouldn't be alowed to direct any of them with his anti-German sentiments (yes, I'm aware of the reasons he could hold a grudge). It could to help world perspectives to follow a squad or platoon of Germans, British, Romanians, Russians, Hungarians, Brazilians.
I think a Finish epic could be good too with the Winter War, and Continuation War. I can't remember the third phase of their participation in WW2...their semi-reluctant fight to remove the Germans from their territory.

Questions, Comments?

-Rick
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

The film with David Niven 'The Way Ahead' is almost a 'Band of Brothers' first episode from a British perspective. A group of disparate characters are brought together by call-up and go through the usual problems of learning to become soldiers before being shipped out to Africa where they first undergo combat...and there the film ends. Are they all killed? Maybe we can make a sequel!
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers