Has Anyone Seen The Movie "ENIGMA"?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

John W. Howard

Has Anyone Seen The Movie "ENIGMA"?

Post by John W. Howard »

I just watched the movie "ENIGMA" and found it fascinating. There are lots of excellent views of Enigma machines, Bletchly Park, etc. For novices on the ENIGMA topic, it provides a wealth of great info. From what I could tell, it appeared to be quite accurate in its historical detail. It was based on a novel by Robert Harris of FATHERLAND fame. Interesting enough it was produced by Lorne Michaels of "Saturday Night Live" fame, and Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. Hopefully Yanks and Brits will work together in the future to bring us more historically interesting films to counteract trash like "U-571" and "Pearl Harbor". I hope you like it.
John W. Howard
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

I saw it a few months ago. Very good. Lots of nice twists. Acting perfect. Scenery wonderful. I peticularly enjoyed the feel of it. This really did look like what wartime britain must have been like in the rural areas. The main character was very human. His situation believable, and the pressure he would have been under. But I really enjoyed the reality of it. The main character looking for his missing love, while not only trying to crack the german code but the British trying to bury the deciphering of the Katn massacre. I thought it was brillient.
John W. Howard

Hi Michael

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Michael:
I am glad you liked the film. I really enjoyed it and read the novel too. The novel is filled with good historical information, and between it and the movie, I got a greater appreciation of how the Brits went about breaking the German codes. Best wishes and welcome to Feldgrau!!
John W. Howard
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

Thanks.
I haven't read the novel. I have not had much time reading for pleasure lately. Been rather busy myself. It's a lot of hard work writing novels. You should appreciate every page of one that is well written. I wrote and published one, Sealion's Byte. Feldgrau looks like a very good source of information.