What do you think re the movie STALINGRAD

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Danny
Contributor

What do you think re the movie STALINGRAD

Post by Danny »

I was just watching it, once again, and have to say, that I think it
is a very good, realistic movie.

Whats your oppinion on that german movie?

Regards

Danny
jpatterson

Post by jpatterson »

I think that after having read the book that this is another example of " I should not have read the book first"!

BTW, I should'nt post when I'm drunk.

Later
"War is delightful to those who have no experience of it"
Desiderius Erasmus
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Overall - very good movie. My personal favorite is the attack of the Russian tanks. It seems very realistic to me; I can just imagine that it portrayed what such an attack must really have felt like for the poor bloody infantry.
JohnWilliam88
Supporter

Post by JohnWilliam88 »

Hi,

I liked the movie, didn't know there was a book though, who is it written by?

Thanks,

John.
"We owe it to the title on our sleeve"
-Dietrich
De Ruyter

Post by De Ruyter »

I didn't know there is a book also. :?
But back to the topic I really liked the movie.
Meine Ehre Heist Treue
Panzer Mooyman
Supporter

Post by Panzer Mooyman »

Its probably one of the best movies from the German perspective. I just wished Stalingrad had a bit more competition.
jpatterson

Post by jpatterson »

The book is called "War of the Rats". I lent it to a "friend" and haven't seen it for a couple of years so I do not know the name of the author. Sorry.

Later
"War is delightful to those who have no experience of it"
Desiderius Erasmus
Mak Los Mien Schnitzel
Supporter

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel »

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh, but as Stalingrad was made by the same guys as Das Boot I guess I expected more. The acting in Stalingrad was SO bad I had to stop the movie, stop laughing and then restart the movie again. Eventually I stopped watching it at around the middle because it got a bit silly.

BTW "acting" extends to "dying" as well. The death throes of a lot of the german guys in the movie, made deaths in Operas by Puccini look more realistic.

I have since seen the end bit with the tank advance and I quite liked it so I may go back :?
Clint E : "Second rate punk huh?"
R.Burton : "Sorry, first thing I thought of at the spur of the moment"
Clint E : "Thanks that makes me feel a LOT better"
RSW

Post by RSW »

Stalingrad was a good movie. War of the Rats is written by David L. Robbins. It came out in 1999, a really good read, the ISBN# is 0-553-58135-X.
Regards,
RSW :D
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

It's a good movie, especially in the cinema. As with all films it loses something on the small screen. I agree with derGespenst on the tank attack.

The problem with the English version is that the dubbing is diabolical and reminds me of the style of the BBC Tales of Eastern Europe or wherever that I watched when I was a kid, where a cultured English voice carried on the handsome prince's speech long after the troll had chopped his head off.

I've recently bought the German DVD version and will watch this the next time my wife goes out for the evening, as she believes that watching(let alone liking) this type of film is a sure sign of me being nuts!! :shock:
Regards

Howard
Alexander Stuukov

Decent Movie

Post by Alexander Stuukov »

After watching the movie Stalingrad, I had to admit, the germans could really make something out of a small budget. The movie portrayed the horrors facing the german soldier brilliantly, and the acting (this was the german version with english sub-titles, I cant stand dubbed!) was genuine. The movie's battle scenes were efficient for the budget, and It did bring a dark mood to the atmosphere around me. The fact that it portrayed the german soldier however, was probably one of the big pluses (everything is about the allies, to the victor goes to the spoils). Overall, I gave it a 89% rating.
"Stop you cowards, die with your general"

General Miaja waving his pistol and shouting at his men during the Battle of Madrid as Republican Troops retreated before the Nationalists. (Spanish Civil War)