Panzer General the computer game

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Don

Panzer General the computer game

Post by Don »

Several years ago, I use to play the DOS version of Panzer General. What is the latest version and is it worth while to get? Thanks.
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

I wouldn't bother - PG1 remains the best of them IMO. Not sure I have seen the very latest though.

BTW - Does anybody know where I can get PG1, and if it will run on Windows XP?

cheers
Panzer Mooyman
Supporter

Post by Panzer Mooyman »

PG1 will be hard to get. Look around at second hand shops, markets and such and sometimes game shops have a box with old un-selled games. Also theres a website were they posted old dos games (legal) but I think PG1 is t o new for that. Dont know the url either.

PG1 should be running under XP in the command prompt. Not sure though, i look around if I have PG1 somewhere around and try it on my XP.
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

Hello,

Panzer General runs fine on my Windows XP system, but you may have to tinker with it. A number of sites on the web are dedicated to getting old DOS based games to run on XP, so you should be able to find help if you need it.

I've played all the games in PG series and, as mentioned above, some are better than others. PG and PG II are the best by far, although I did like Pacific General quite a bit. Allied General was a bit weak. Panzer General 3D, on the other hand, was full of bugs and crashed constantly - a real disappointment.

Regards,

Wurger - Resident Leftist Thug
tirola
Supporter

Post by tirola »

All PG (incl. Allied General) can be downloaded for FREE at

http://www.the-underdogs.org

My favorite is PG2. At the moment I enjoy 3D

Good luck :wink:

Tirola
Tomas Hellquist

Post by Tomas Hellquist »

I agree with earlier postings that PG1 and in some aspects PG2 is the best in the series. All versions where it has gone over to 3D should be avoided. I´ve also tried People's General to some extent (it covers the fighting in the far east during the time after ww2) and I would say that the choppers were the most 'fun' part in that version.

At the moment I am enjoying the new actor ont he scene 'Blitz krieg'. Not all the same but still very refreshing and a lot of fun. To sneak up with a sniper and take out the gun crew on the enemy howitzers and then capture it and tow it away only to mount a 10-15 gun barrage against the soldiers entrenched around the last objective. I love the feeling :)
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

I've been enjoying PG2 for some years now. Although once it's modified out the wazoo, it's only good for a couple campaigns!
Richard Murphy
Supporter

Post by Richard Murphy »

I gave PG 1 to my stepson when I acquired PG 2 a couple of years ago (Mainly because I got fed up with not being able to win at Kursk-but there again, neither Model nor Manstein could do it, so why should I, regardless of hindsight!!!), I play 2 quiet regularly (Stuck at Novosibirsk at the moment!) and like it a great deal.

Does anyone one if Dr. Peter Turcan's games (Borodino, Gettysburg, Armarda, Austerlitz, to name a few.) are available on-line, and if they'll run on XP?

Regards from the Park,

Rich
Dasbootz
Supporter
Location: Zee Island under zee sun situated 1 degree above zee equator

Post by Dasbootz »

IMO... PG1,2,3 were by far the best turn-based strategy games ever. I like especially the part where individual units could attain special capabilities like: Elite Recon, Elite Shock Tactics and such were IMO crucial to some of the games turn-out during battles.

Also noteworthy, I find that new games such as BF1942 really fun and immersive... especially the way mass tank battles were fought, such as pitting a German PzIV or Tiger against the Soviet T-34., US Sherman or M10. Now, if only there's a dedicated WW2 tank simulation game to keep me enthralled after completing COD in 1 day...
"Say what you mean and mean what you say."
- General George S. Patton Jr