German Soldiers.......worst Movie portrayal.

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

behblc
Associate

German Soldiers.......worst Movie portrayal.

Post by behblc »

After the thread on the best....I have to ask (if it has not already been done) for the worst portrayal of the German Soldier in the "best" that Hollywood / the small screen has to offer.
There have been so many it will be a hard job to come up with a running order...myself I would have to go think for a while.
The very many 1960's T.V. shows I grew up with " Garison's Guerrillas" , "Rat Patrol" are contenders.....the many 1960's Hollywood movies...so many so bad.
Where Eagles Dare...why did they not let Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood go on to Berlin....why did they not just drop them there and in about two hours if I may quote the sniper from "S.P.R." "Shows over boys we're goin home".
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

The most of Band of brothers series was simply bullshit. Germans running around and hitting nothing. And then those stupid conversations :x
Wenn man nichts zu sagen hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten.
ctschatz

Post by ctschatz »

Good Movie/Bad Germans
Kelly's Heros
Von Ryan's Express
The Longest Day ( come on even a moron would know that he had his boots on the wrong foot.)
Hogans Heros
any Combat

Christian
"In war I would deal with the Devil and his grandmother. "
Josehph Stalin
BrianC
Supporter

Harts War

Post by BrianC »

Has to be Harts war closely followed by Escape to victory......
Debica Fusilier
Supporter

Post by Debica Fusilier »

Saving Private Ryan.

"HEY HANS, LET US GO INTO A BURNT OUT SHELL OF A CITTY FULL OF RUBBLE AND HAVE A DRIVE! Good idea Fronz!"
Chris Handy
BrianC
Supporter

Yup

Post by BrianC »

Recon with a Tiger tank and a 20mm Quad.......Maybe not great tactics.......
croat
Supporter

Post by croat »

Any war movie made during the former "Yugoslavia". They made it look as if 50 divisions of elite German troops couldn't handle 15 ragged but glorious Commies. I'm suprised that Berlin didn't fall into Tito's rather than Stalin's hands.
It is the inherent right of every nation to have its own nation state.
Guillermo
Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

The "Combat" series.
Achilles
Contributor

Post by Achilles »

The most of Band of brothers series was simply bullshit. Germans running around and hitting nothing. And then those stupid conversations
Well, I also saw the Americans running around and not hitting much...perhaps your view that every German was an ueber-warrior comes from some bullsh*t books.
Deutschlanderwache
Supporter

Post by Deutschlanderwache »

Baltasar wrote:The most of Band of brothers series was simply bullshit. Germans running around and hitting nothing. And then those stupid conversations :x
I have the same opinion. (genau meiner Meinung)
Deutschlanderwache
Supporter

Post by Deutschlanderwache »

Achilles wrote:
The most of Band of brothers series was simply bullshit. Germans running around and hitting nothing. And then those stupid conversations
Well, I also saw the Americans running around and not hitting much...perhaps your view that every German was an ueber-warrior comes from some bullsh*t books.
What books do you mean? Not all are über-warriors but most. :D

Everybody who has seen Band of... must say that it is @#% (i think).
Achilles
Contributor

Post by Achilles »

What books do you mean? Not all are über-warriors but most.
Have you ever been in combat? I thought not.

So who are you to say what is realistic or not?

You need to grow up and stop fantasising about how people really act in combat...that includes your German "heroes".
Everybody who has seen Band of... must say that it is @#% (i think).
Is that because the Germans lose - that's because they did in reality. READ MY LIPS - THE GERMANS LOST. BEATEN. VANQUISHED. COMPLETELY.
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

Uh, he was being sarcastic, chief...
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

The worst war film (and probably one of the worst filsm ever) without any doubt is "Operation Crossbow". No, I don't mean the usual "Anglo-Saxon Superhero" stereotype, the absurde espionage plot or the ridiculous idea of a "New York Rocket" already on it's way to the Big Apple when it is destroyed. But if you watch this movie, you will learn that german trucks have a right-hand drive and that there is still the flag of the Weimar Republic flying at the german border. So much dumbness really must hurt...

On the boots in "The Longest Day", this is based on a real story. Somebody in Ryan's book (can't remember who) relates that at the end of the day, he realized that he had put his boots on the wrong feet in the hurry after the pre-dawn alarm. He had been under such a strain and excitement during the fighting that he never even noticed it.
Achilles
Contributor

Post by Achilles »

Uh, he was being sarcastic, chief...
No he wasn't. Deep down he really believes the German soldier was somehow inherently superior to any other.