German Soldiers.......worst Movie portrayal.

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

panzermahn
Associate

Re: German Soldiers.......worst Movie portrayal.

Post by panzermahn »

I would say the worst movie portrayal of German soldiers would be the 1978 Inglorious Bastards

You wonder that with all the German troops with MP40, Sturmgewehrs, MG-42 etc, could not even hit a bunch of American troops %E
Broadsword

Post by Broadsword »

I read through this whole thread and found the comments from FJ6(?) and Achilles to be most interesting. I thought I would chime in.

First off no mention was made about the BOB second episode where the Artillery battery was assaulted. Yes it was mentioned but what was overlooked was the fact that this maneuver was put into military doctrine and is still taught at the U.S. Army Infantry school. I can hardly think that something of this nature was un-true or "glorified" for TV. In fact most 101st AB folks who were there said that is how it went down.

The 101 Abn Divisional archives also back up much of what happened in BOB also, so to say that BOB's is rubbish is really disregarding and dishonoring those that were in E-company, so those that came down on the critical end of the movie should be ashamed of themselves.

It is most unfortunate that many who "talk" about battle have never participated. Instead I here much in the way of inciting behavior from those that claim to have been. I have to respect the individuals who have commentary in regards to actually partcipating in combat but the fact is that those that have rarely if ever do have commentary. To question if one has is stupidity at it's finest for the percentages of those that have are very low at best, and to chastise those that never have, let alone never picked up a weapon, is really not a good indication of someone with any character. I'm glad there are folks who haven't reaped the benefits of the horrors of war and have the freedom to still comment. Ask questions and those that really have will answer, not in a hateful way, but as nicely and as least thought provoking in their own minds as feasible.

Quality of the German soldier arguments? I realize FJ6 is tired of being told the American soldier is the best, but I'm on your side. I think the German was tactically advanced and was just plain worn out. The Army had been fighting for years and logistics were simply exhausted. Upper Echelon types made a series of mistakes that doomed the German Army, but I think pound for pound in their hey day they would have given the American soldier a tough going.

You read enough and you see the ineptitude of many American Officers, The battle in the Hertgen Forest is one that readily comes to mind. The U.S had an endless supply of men and material, hell you'll eventually win everytime with those odds. Swing that around and Hitler would probably have a statue in New York and we would all be speaking German.

By the way, in case any Achilles types want to yell at me for commenting on who can handle who shooting at them, I'm a retired Infantryman from the U.S. Army, Ranger qualified, tours from the first Gulf War to Afghanistan, and I know what it's like to be shot at....and I also teach college history on the West Coast of the good ole US of A. I think I can speak for many when I say that getting answers on the German Armed forces through a great website like this is a blessing...being disrespectful because your views don't line-up with others and arguing your points over and over will get you no where.
Domen123
Enthusiast

Post by Domen123 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc6s2kP_kJM

Bad acting combined with low budget and portraying the enemies as idiots = awesome result.