Stalingrad

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Noel Petroni
Supporter

Post by Noel Petroni »

I wouldn't put down Stalingrad as one of the best films. I found it a bit draging at times.

Regarding accuracy, it would be very difficult to identify what fighting in Stalingard was really like. However the film did not give me that horror feeling of battles as I have read in good books of Stalingrad. I feel it lacked that strength.

I'm not sure if battalions were penalized so harshly and degraded so much! Even found strange at the start of the film when the awards were being given, that an officer could refuse to give the award on a whim!

Private Ryan is my best!!

Regards
Noel
Wurger
Contributor

Enemy at the Gates vs. Stalingrad

Post by Wurger »

I don't think that there is any comparing Enemy at the Gates and Stalingrad. The former picture is a love story rather than a war picture. However, my take on the story is a little different than most of the posts here: I saw Enemy at the Gates as a movie about the on-and-off love affair between Joseph Fiennes and Jude Law, in which the female lead serves merely as a confusing distraction. On top of that, Ed Harris, the only person in the picture who is capable of acting, has to play second fiddle to a child actor. Why waste valuable screen-time developing Harris's character when it can be devoted to the exploits of Sasha the plucky shoe-shine boy?

Regards,

Wurger