Research for novel - 4th Panzer Division

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

big_buddha
Supporter

Post by big_buddha »

Thanks Michael, thats very helpful, I will focus on 25th Pzr Regt, does anyone know which companies of this Regiment were equipped with the Czech Pz38(t)? Also does anyone have details of the vehicles and equipment that the units of 7th Pzr used? I know they had some Flammpanzers and PanzerJager Is with Czech 4.7cm gun, I haven't managed to find any details of the Czech gun, only a comment that it surpassed any German tank gun of the period, does anyone have any details of this gun's performance? I'm guessing that these PanzerJagers would have been needed to assist the Pzr with 37mm and 50mm guns if the Czech gun was able to destroy some of the tougher Soviet tanks, although I find it hard to believe any 47mm weapon could defeat t-34 and KV-1!

Michael, I would indeed appreciate any info you can supply, in fact, daily situation reports detailing 7th Pazr Div and in particular 25th Pzr Regt would be immensely useful to me as I'm trying to establish a timeline detailing the actions engagements and position of 7th PzrDiv from the start of Barbarossa to the end of Typhoon.

If you could supply such info I'd be immensely grateful and as it would be so useful I'd be happy to do anything I can in return for your efforts.
==============================
Intelligence Resembles Insanity only to the stupid.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Book

Post by Tom Houlihan »

B.B., if you can get this fledgling book up on the 'net like you wanted, I'd be willing to bet you'd get all sorts of technical and critical help. Some of it might even be worth reading! :wink: Writing a book is harder than writing a school thesis. I ought to know, I've started several of them! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

I have daily situation maps but not reports. These maps would still give you postion at specific dates and the Russian units it incountered. But unfortunately I do not have any of the KTBs for 7.PD during this time

As for the make-up of Pz.Rgt.25 I can get that info at home tonight. Also the Flammpanzers and PzJag Is were not part of 7.PD but separate abts attached to the Korps and Army. There were two Flammpanzer units Pz.Abt.100 and Pz.Abt.101, with 101 attached to PzGr.3 and 100 to Pz.Gr.2. I would need my books to tell you which one was which. The PzJAg Is were attached to various PzJAg.Abts attched to either the Korps or Army and then sent where needed.

During The Battle of Smolensk in July 7.PD was part PzGr.3s XXXIX.AK (mot) and attached to this Korps was Pz.Abt.101 and PzJag.Abt.643 (equipped with PzJag Is).

Regards
Michael
big_buddha
Supporter

Daily situation maps and War Diary

Post by big_buddha »

Hi Michael, if you could find some way of letting me have the daily situation maps I'd be very grateful, would you be abl to scan them and send them to me?

I've just got hold of the 7th Panzer Division war diary, as scanned pages which I could send to you in return.

With the diary and the maps as well as Hasso von Manteuffel's history of the division, I'm sure I will have the backbone of what I need and will only have to do a but of research to flesh out the gaps.

Ian
Lexxx
Supporter

Status of Book

Post by Lexxx »

Ian,

I was wondering if you are still pursuing your book project? I noticed the link you provided is no longer functioning.

Lex
big_buddha
Supporter

Post by big_buddha »

Yes I am, the website is down, but I have started a new site at http://www.greenhalgh.f2s.com.

It is far from complete andin its eqarly stages.

I am working on a host of large databases covering all axis and soviet vehicles and equipment, units, commanders etc. A database programmer frined of mine is currently developing this back-end system while I am developing the web interface. I'll keep you posted on progress.

I'm currently four chapters into the novel, the research has proved problematic as the general details of the campaign related to the uniots in the novels are easy to ascertain, its the smaller details that take time to discover.
Heinrich George

Post by Heinrich George »

You may want to buy the book "Your Loyal and Loving Son - The Letters of Tank Gunner Karl Fuchs, 1937-41." Fuchs served with 7th PD in Russia but didn't fight in the West or Poland.

Most of the letters are to his wife or his father, who was in the Luftwaffe. Not much about the fighting but gives you some insight into the soldier's mind and what he was willing to reveal to his family.
Michael Dorosh
Supporter

Re: Research for novel - 4th Panzer Division

Post by Michael Dorosh »

I was curious what the status of this project is?