WWIIonline

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Simon Orchard
Supporter

WWIIonline

Post by Simon Orchard »

Kameraden!

Your comrades in the virtual wehrmacht are waiting for you online!

Join the Axis today!

wwiionline
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I have seen this around for sometime and it looks really neat! How is it? It sure is cheap to get the inital game (20 bucks) but I hate the monthly subscribtion cost just to play it online. What to you think, is it worth it?

I've also wondered what it's like playing with so many other people. It seems neat to have humans on the enemy side, but do the humans on your own side fight as a real unit or does everyone simply do their own thing??
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

Hi Jason
Well you can do the free trial thing first of course. I must admit, i'm hooked and have been these last 13 months.
If you go over to the site and take a look at the thread which concerns the latest patch (1.68) you'll see some screenies of the hugely improved graphics which will come out to open beta next week.
Playing with and against thousands of other human players is a blast but you should know that it is no quankathon a la counter strike. To succeed in this game you have to work as a team. That means in reality joining one of the great squads which exist out there. A good squad will also help you get up to speed with the game quickly because the initial learning curve is very steep.
i've recently applied for one of the best axis squads around, the 116 Pz.Div. 'Windhund'. Check out the squads site here
these guys are friendly and dedicated, easily the most professional bunch of troopers i've played with yet.

here's a list of the current German equipment available.

Me109E
Me110C
He111
Ju87B
PAK 36
FLAK 30
FLAK 36
Sdkfz 7 (to tow the flak 36)
Pz. II
Pz.IIIE
Pz.IVD
Stug IIIA
Pz.38t
Opel blitz (to transport the infantry)
infantry (rifle, smg or pioneer)
'captured' fairmile gun boat (until the axis get their own S-boote)

next vehicles to come...

Sdkfz 231
Pz.IIIH

I should also mention that the game requires you have at least 256MB of RAM, better if you have 512. If you're on a dial-up line i'd think twice about too.

Give it a try Jason, you never know you might get hooked :)
Ian Earl
Contributor

I to am hooked.

Post by Ian Earl »

Do it Jason.

This is a great game!
gorbag
Supporter

Post by gorbag »

I'm waiting until they expand the infantry weapons a bit. I need my Panzerschreck or a sniper rifle to feel complete.
In the battle between good and evil, evil usually has more fun.
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

That's a pity gorbag. you're going to have to wait until the end of '43 before panzerschrecks appear and i think the general opinion is against sniper rifles being available in any numbers. Perhaps one per town but no more. We don't want it to degenerate into CS.

BTW, inf above the rank of captain will get binos as of the next patch which *drumroll* will be up for open beta testing tomorrow (3.10.02).

I'd also like CRS (the games makers) expand the infantry weapons set. Most of all we need to see LMGs like the MG34 introduced and mortars. What they want to do is implement resupply before doing so. Here's the idea. You spawn infantry with an MG34, you can only carry 200 rounds of ammo, which will of course get used up pretty quickly. Someone else will then have to bring ammunition up to you. You call out in the chat buffer "mg34 needs resupp S of town" a team mate hears your cry and spawns in as a rifle infantryman carrying an extra box of 200 rounds for you instead of the normal 4 handgrenades. He then runs off to find you and drops the ammo by your side.

The game is good and getting better all the time.

Simon
Rob S.
Supporter

Post by Rob S. »

I would have to disagree on WW2online actually. I have played it since the beginning and it essencially hasn't gotten any better from the strategic aspect. The supposed use of tactics in ww2online is a joke. It is nothing like real life.

I'll agree it is a good vehicle sim, but nothing more.
Kagetora

Post by Kagetora »

S! all

As my first post here at Feldgrau.com it must be one on WWIIOL :)

This game is very good, but it does have its flaws. Ive been playing since about 1 month after release and I have to say that WWIIOL is a hugely different game from what was first released. Cornered Rat Software pushed this one out onto the shop shelves far too early. Only now are we starting to see some of the things ingame which they promised on the box.

Im not going to sing the games praises and im not going to try and put anyone off getting it either.

What I will say is this....try it out. They do promotions where you can DL the game for free or get it off the cover of a gaming magazine which allows you to play for a month free (currently they are running mag promo's in Sweden and the UK i think) nb:- check out the system specs needed...this game will not run properly on low or even average spec machines.

Its not everyone's cup of tea but it is IMO the closest thing to a proper online simulation of WWIIOL (1940 low countries in 1/2 scale) It has kept this Soldat happy for many hours. And the best thing about it is that the developers are continually changing and improving it. No-body has ever attempted what they(CRS) are doing in the online gaming world when it comes to WWII and I have to say they are doing a good job even if I can be one of their biggest critics at times. They are trying their best to bring in some sort of supply/attrition with the next few patches which should improve the game immensly.

It is 100% a teamplay game and I cannot stress playing/joining a squad enough. Lonewolves will not enjoy this game as much as the team player.

The best Axis squads in the community are:-

Sturm Grenadiers (USA/EU)
31st (USA/EU)
Windhund (USA/EU)
Nordland (EU)
Kampfgruppe Wiking (EU) (shameless self punt :))

check out http://www.wwiionline.com (official site) and http://www.okw.wwiionline.com (Axis community website)

And remember if you do end up playing and joining one of these fine squads tell them Kagetora from Wiking sent you :)

S! and hope to see you in flanders.
Kagetora
Kampfgruppe Wiking a WWIIOL unit
http://www.kgwiking.com
Rob S.
Supporter

Post by Rob S. »

Kagetora: I'm a member of Windhund. Mainly a forum member though, cancelled my account a few months ago.
Kagetora

Post by Kagetora »

Rgr Rob, I can understand your decision to cancel, some of my squad mates have done the same and I myself have considered it. I guess overall I still find it fun to play and really enjoy the teamwork element of the game......and thats why Im still a paying customer.

Played alot with your WH guys, played with "Kilt" in Genk in the middle of the week. All top men!

S!
Kagetora
Kampfgruppe Wiking a WWIIOL unit
http://www.kgwiking.com