What if, after Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time"?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

joefraser
Supporter

What if, after Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time"?

Post by joefraser »

The scenario is; Germany and Austria are united by the Anschluss, Czechoslovakia is in Nazi hands and the Munich Agreement has been signed. Hitler then commits no more agression to other countries whilst still building for war. There is a school of thought that Stalin would have attacked Germany anyway and Hitler pre-empted it with Barbarossa. So let's say Hitler did not invade Poland but the Soviets did. Britain and france had a pact with Poland against Nazi Invasion,not Soviet. How would it have panned out from there. Would Hitler call on the rest of Europe to join in a crusade against the Bolsheviks? Could there have been a scenario where France, Germany and Britain were united against the U.S.S.R.? Indeed would Germany have been able to defend it's borders early in the war considering that the German army was trained for offensive war not defensive? Would America join with the Anglo, Franco, German alliance had it been made? ( Bear in mind that, at the time of the scenario, Germany was anti-semetic, but not nearly as bad as the death camp attrocities of post Wanasee, and from what I can ascertain there was a certain anti-Semetic feeling in a lot of European Countries at that time.) Time magazine had made Hitler man of the year for 1938 so maybe his best time to lead an alliance
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: What if, after Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time"?

Post by phylo_roadking »

I can see a reaction on the part of the major European Power along the lines of Spain - a LoN-mandated "blockade" on supplying the combatants, but nothing else; the Major Powers would likely use a machanism like this to AVOID either a war, or a war on the side of Germany :wink:

By this time Germany had stormed out of the LoN :wink: Which means noone else would stand them storming back IN and demanding this....while the LoN could stand as a separate body, a "third way" vs. Hitler's appeal.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Patrick
Enthusiast

Re: What if, after Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time"?

Post by Patrick »

joefraser wrote:Time magazine had made Hitler man of the year for 1938 so maybe his best time to lead an alliance
Just a clarification on this point: Being Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" is not necessarily an honor. The Man of the Year is defined as the individual who most influenced the news that year, whether for good or for ill.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.