Giving their lives or doing their duty

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

Giving their lives or doing their duty

Post by Annelie »

Just watched another program with the history channel and the commentor remarked that the soldiers
gave their lives to (?).

I hear this a lot. Do soldiers give their lives or do they do their duty or perhaps to many its the same?

I am sure many during WWII really didn't want to be part of the war but IMHO they did their duty.
That they ended up losing their lives I cannot think they did this for the benefit of cause but unfortunately
got caught up with something of which they could not change.
Annelie

Re: Giving their lives or doing their duty

Post by phylo_roadking »

Annelie, personally I've always had some concerns over the disciplinary systems and penalties (up to and including Capital) imposed on CONSCRIPT armies :shock:

After all, there's a VERY great difference between assuming a duty YOURSELF by your own lights and stadards...and having one imposed upon you by a third party...

...that is, after all, something that has STARTED wars :shock: ...."more TEA, vicar?" :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds