The Last Parade of Private Sponge

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

The Last Parade of Private Sponge

Post by phylo_roadking »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a16 ... ed-82.html

:(

Isn't it strange that as real wartime heroes fade and pass away - "fiction" is now mirroring fact???

Born in 1927 -
Bean's first appearance was as a shepherd in a school play, and much against paternal intentions, he took up acting professionally until being called up for national service. He served for four years, spending some time in Japan, and taking the opportunity to continue his acting by joining the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF).
Unless I'm mistaken, he must have been called up in late 1944 or 1945...AND under the post-1942 rules, must have been in the Home Guard for a year before being called up...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Simon H
Associate

Re: The Last Parade of Private Sponge

Post by Simon H »

A superb series and great piece of social commentary at the time. Always funny to watch the re-runs. Only a few lof the cast left now.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: The Last Parade of Private Sponge

Post by phylo_roadking »

I came across more detail on his career. He WAS called up in 1944 and spent some time in the Movement Control Office in Antwerp after it was liberated before being sent to the Far East.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds