How to

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

How to

Post by Annelie »

Clean belt buckle without taking off finnish?
I thought perhaps just using oil?

This buckle has grunge but otherwise is in perfect condition with the original belt.
Annelie

Re: How to

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

I would buy some Kroil and clean the buckel with it, I would let it sit for a few then whipe it off, it will remove any rust and not damage anyhting, if ive used it on everything from my Luftwaffe Buckel to my K-98 and Luger, http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetr ... B000F09CF4 you should be able to find it just about anywhere that sells automotive or gun cleaning supplies, I think walmart even carries it,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Great Thanks.

Sounds like handy cleaner to have around.
Annelie

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

My Pleasure, its got a million and one uses and a little goes a along ways, Let us know how it turns out,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Annelie...IF it's rust...try that old colonial favourite - Molasses! it's a wonderful rust-eater. Just immerse the buckle in an inch of the stuff for a day or two, and when you wash it off, the rust will be removed down to bare metal.

(After all - what do you think the "active" cleaning agent in Coke is??? :shock: )

One caveat - IF the rust has leeched further under the finish than you can see - around the "edges" of visible patches etc. - then that extra "edge" will no longer be pristine. But the same will occur from ANY rust remover...if the rust is "subterranean" :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thanks Phylo,

No not rust just plain old built up dirt......
But, I will keep the molasses in mind for future.
Annelie

Post by DrStrangelove »

Annelie, please take a look at: http://www.das-koppelschloss.de/startseite1.htm

The topic "Reinigung/Restauration von Koppelschloessern"

See also:

http://koppelschloss-online.de/html/allgemein.html (Topic "Reinigung"...)

DrS