Bavaria Bans Zeitungszeugen Project

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

statemachine
Contributor

Bavaria Bans Zeitungszeugen Project

Post by statemachine »

After the first edition,Bavaria has banned this unique method of examining history.
http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090117-16839.html
An unbreakable man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Bavaria Bans Zeitungszeugen Project

Post by phylo_roadking »

That one actually made the mainstream news here a few days ago, for a short time. We're pretty familiar here in the UK with abbreviated reprints of "period" newspapers - the day war was declared, Dunkirk, the BoB etc....I've even got a few of the better reprints squirrled away myself....but it did seem to me that the content of the first few of these in Germany was more than questionable - in taste if not just in wisdom!

"Examining history" may be a good idea...but how many people in the street are actually capable of seeing past the printed word to the socio-political context??? Or if they can - do so without taking onboard unconsciously the surface...cr@p?

it's a bit like saying - "here's a gun for everyone - but don't worry, only murderers will use them to kill people"
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

This will likely continue in Germany.Apparently it sells better than a sex scandal.Besides,they have historians providing an analysis.Which historians are chosen could be the bigger battle. :D
An unbreakable man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Besides,they have historians providing an analysis
In the immortal words of Arthur Stanley Jefferson - "You can bring a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead". How many people are going to bother reading the commentary?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

From what I understand it's an analysis,not some tossed in comments.The intended market is adults.Possibly some are worried about the extreme right?
An unbreakable man