AH: possible plotters against Hitler

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Wolery
Supporter

AH: possible plotters against Hitler

Post by Wolery »

OK, maybe you guys remember me, maybe not. But I'm still working on my AH story about a general who overthrows Hitler and 'saves' Germany from the allies.

But there's a major snag:

I need to know who could support this character. The conditions of the coup are these:

1. Everyone directly involved with the death camps must die (Himmler, Hitler, etc).
2. All top Nazis (like Goring) must die.
3. The coup must succeed totally and within 72 hours. No civil war.
4. Democracy must be restored as an Allied condition of peace, if there is to be any peace. So the coupers must be able to swallow giving up power.
5. The General and Allies both want to withdraw from all 'occupied' zones at wars end. 'Germany will never again be the oppressor of nations' so says the General, and he means it. Coupers need to understand that 'MittleEuropa' is dead.
6. The Holocaust is immediately presented as a reason for the coup to the world. This is to discredit the Nazis as much as possible, but also because the General and his inner core believe Germany must immediately turn a corner or risk slipping back into tyranny.

Who among the Germans could side with this plot, either out of idealism or necessity? I figure Artur Nebe, and Albert Speer, Eric von Manstein, Erwin Rommel, Frederick Paulus (who is not in Soviet Captivity), could be in on it. But are there semi decent Waffen SS men who could be in on it if only because they realize there will be no peace as long as Hitler lives?

Are there any biographies or other source material I could benefit from?

Thanks in advance