Interviewing Vets...

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Interviewing Vets...

Post by Dragunov »

Interviewing vets... what to ask and what not to ask?

because it's something that I intend to do sometime, I might as well get prepared. what kind of questions do any vets dislike being asked? what should i always ask them (the essential info?)?

cheers,
Dragunov
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: Interviewing Vets...

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Veterans are not different to other individuals. It is your "job" to feel what you can ask him and what not. I know sme people here will come with oppinions what to say and what not but giving such guidelines is in my oppinion complete nonsense.

Talk with a veteran, honestly with your senses "online" like with any other human being and you will find out with which topics he has a problem or not. Ask politely and honest in what you are interested in.

\Christoph
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I worked a long time ago with a couple of people who were part of an early "oral history" recording project at a local museum here, and went on to set up the BBC Northern Ireland segment of the WWII oral history project that can be accessed online. One of the BEST ways to start such a sessions seemed to be to set an open mike in front of them or beside them, and let THEM talk about whatever THEY want. The directions that then leads can be fascinating. For talking about what they WANT to remember, means that they're the memories they've WANTED to keep alive the longest and cherished the most.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

interesting...

but i'm worried of the kind of question that might put them in an awkward position or put them off... like if I asked "what is it like to end someone's life", that might cause a stir. get where I'm going? sorta?

I see your point about guidelines, but the "who, what, where, when, how" is pretty much necessary, or so I thought... but that might come up anyways.

interesting point, Phylo...
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It's always possible to "trigger" recollections - a question like "how did you feel about your enemies?" will let you "feel" how the interview is going, and lead onto how they felt about fighting them, and all that entailed. Never ask "How do you think they felt about YOU?" unless you KNOW you're on safe ground, for that's a warning-signals-up question...as in "WHY would you be asking THAT? Does he think We/Us were in the wrong?" Never ask any question that even hints at pre-judging, that's the way to bring down the curtain.

A good rule of thumb I've been told is - unless someone comes to you to tell a story they WANT to be told - treat everyone as if they were in the right. Their story has as much weight and importance as anyone else's - retired general or shellslinger. 66 years later is a bit late for the "investigative journalism" way of doing things. You'll get more because they want to tell you more :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds