Favorite WWII sites visited?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Favorite WWII sites visited?

Post by L. Kafka »

In Nov 05 my wife and I were in Singapore and I took her for a walk to Fort Canning to see the Battle Box, the underground British headquarters.
I've also been to the Malinta Tunnel on Corregidor in the Philippines. I followed up the tour by taking a swim at a hotel poor where I had some drinks. In Manila I had a drink in the Manila Hotel where the Japanese had their HQ.
I spent two months on Okinawa in 1968 when I was in the Marines, but I knew little about the 1945 battle there and didn't know where to look for war sites. I was also on Guam that year. Several years later a Japanese straggler came out of the Guam hills and gave himself up. :oops:
I found an overnight stay in Arnhem, Holland last year to be of interest, but we arrived too late to visit the Airborne Museum. The visit prompted me to re-read A Bridge Too Far that I read in the 1980s.
A four hour walking tour of Berlin of Nazi and Communist sites, also last year by insidertours.com was one that I recommend with the Maik Kopeck book in hand.
Then there is my native born town of Detroit, the Arsenal of Democracy, as it was called during the war. A war site so far from the fronts? A Japanese bomb balloon landed in Livonia, a suburb of Detroit in 1945, one of several to reach Michigan from Japan or from Japanese submarines.
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Over the past twenty-odd years I’ve visited many places related to WW II, buildings, camps, battlefields, airfields, private homes and factories. Though all those places were impressive in their own right some left a deeper impression than others and I’d consider those to be my favourites. Among them are: the Atlantikwall, Grebbeberg, Berlin, Normandy Bocage, Eben Emael, Anzio, Arnhem-Oosterbeek area, Seelow Heights and –not exactly “favourite” but still very impressive- Auschwitz, Mauthausen and Dora Mittelwerk
Much to my surprise the one place that made the deepest impression and is my most favourite is the radiostation with its tower at Gleiwitz.
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Do some people live in Atlantic Wall bunkers?...

Post by L. Kafka »

Are there any restaurants or min-hotels in operation in the Atlantic Wall bunkers? I have seen photos of the bunkers and always wanted to visit.
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

There still are Flak-towers in Vienna, they are very impressive. And in France there is lots of concrete stuff around......
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Ah Vienna, walking through the zoo at Schönbrunn last year we also climbed the hill at the back to see the Tirol farmhouses that were built there and came upon the large crater in the hillside marked "WW II bombcrater" :D .
You can find remnants of the war just about anywhere and these unexpected encounters, however small and insignificant in the larger scheme of things, always trigger a new flurry of research when I get back home :[]

Kafka, as far as I know there are no hotels in the bunkers but it's been a long time since I was there, maybe someone has filled that gap in the tourist business now.