Feldgrau New Year's Resolutions

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Jason, your thoughts on this subject are far more valuable than my emotionality. I wasn't actually born a "hothead" you know. But Feldgrau is very dear to me.

At any rate, I know that you will formulate a fine and definitive answer to this nonsense. If I can ever be of help, I will be.

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi all,

I agreed with Jason, Paddy and the rest of the Feldgrau community. Well, for my new year's resolution, I would like to mend fences with other people whom I might inadvertently insult.

I must admit, I am always anti-left, anti-commie guy but I promised not to let that interfere with my objectivity in research. Therefore, I would like to take this oppurtunity to apologised to anyone who take offense into whatever I said in the past

Let us unite and steer back Feldgrau into what it has always been.

Panzermahn
Commissar D, the Evil

I am always anti-left, anti-commie guy
Well Panmzermahn, we obviously steer different courses. But, as long as we both consider what is best for Feldgrau, we will not again argue in this New Year. Well, maybe a little argument, for old times....:D :D :D , but nothing to worry about!

Very Best,
David
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

The main focus here should not be personal politics.

Going forward, don't actively tell us what your politics are or aren't, ok folks? Keep this site and your postings focused on the research at hand and answering questions related to the topic of the site, not trying to push, bash or forward your political leanings.

Golden rule - people of many different walks of life frequent this site for many different reasons. The vast majority don't care what your personal political views are. If they did, they'd go to your website/blog/myspace page/whatever. But they didn't, they came here to read and post questions and responses, not to engage in poltical and personal rants or debates. In the New Year keep the discussion about PERSONAL matters offline. We will be clamping down hard on anyone that doesn't follow this request.

Don't goad or bait people. Don't attack people. Don't talk about your personal poltics. Simple requests.

Did I mention Happy New Year yet?? Wow. It's 12:29am and I'm still on this computer on a holiday. @{
Commissar D, the Evil

Don't goad or bait people. Don't attack people. Don't talk about your personal poltics. Simple requests.
This will prove to be a blessing to us all. Let us concentrate on sheer history, without any attempt to fit it into any modern spin. What happened during WWII was a product of that era's beliefs, not of our own--looking back over 60 years.

Very Best,
David C. Clarke
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

michael kenny wrote:Good idea.
Wouldn't want this to happen to you as well as you know who!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bfgn2lOSx6M
Excellent video.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

What happened during WWII was a product of that era's beliefs, not of our own--looking back over 60 years.
What??? Dave, you're sixty? :D :D :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

After reading reviews and a discription of Myth of the eastern front I can come to three conclutions:

1. While interesting subject matter, the author had no remote idea on how to write the subject matter or the history of what they were writing about.

2. I will try to find a copy at my library if possible and give it a more consise read and perhaps take a shower afterward feeling unclean for reading it.

3. Call in a wing of A-10's to desimate the writer, lol

-Mike
"Life is not a support system for art, its the other way around."- Stephen King
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Politics is the small change of life. Look at the people who inhabit that realm anyway - always the folks who don't really have any thing going but a desire to boss other people around.

But historians! Ha! We are the folks who trawl for that last tidbit of knowledge, who fight with sharpened keyboard the battle for truth!

In short - we are much more important than the politicans, who merely want to rule. We want facts! How worthy is a goal like that?

I learned years ago that I could not understand everthing - so I determined to understand a few things really well. After all, the microcosm predicts the macrocosm. (one hopes :wink: )

To understand the reward for this search for truth in a arcane subject matter, one must look to the Japanese who ponders his rock garden, agonizing over the best position for a piece of gravel, or a twig.

And when we die, our eulogies will be trivial - the estate lawyers will look at our books or the items we've collected and note for the record, "So this guy was into military history..." Its enough!

Hence Feldgrau.

Happy New Year!

Michael (Reb)
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

haha... i should resolve to actually write that article, even though it doesn't really fit in the parameters of this site...

and i should also poke my head out of that hole labeled 'weapons and equiptment' y'know, broaden my horizons... if the teachers let up on the darn homework:evil:

happy new year! my cheers goes to the Moderators and Jason for their hardwork... and the rest of you!

Kippis! :beer:
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

New Years resolutions:

Continue the search for anything of my father & therefore keep the pressure on those whose job it is to help me find same.

Ask questions & question the answers.

Continue with the personnel rolls of the 17 & 46 IDs.

Help people with their search for relatives to the best of my ability.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up or give in.

Happy New Year to all especially those who answered some of my Qs. Still tickled pink in respect of General Mack's photo.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Jason wrote
people of many different walks of life frequent this site for many different reasons. The vast majority don't care what your personal political views are.
How true!

I came here to learn. Mainly about the
Veterans themselves and their whole experience and along the way
I have learned other things of interest. Hopefully truth is among those.

My hope has always been that one day I will find someone/information whom was my Father in either his service or as a POW.

Have learned a lot of tolerance since but I still have hard time with those
that clearly label all people with the same brush.
Annelie

Post by panzermahn »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:
I am always anti-left, anti-commie guy
Well Panmzermahn, we obviously steer different courses. But, as long as we both consider what is best for Feldgrau, we will not again argue in this New Year. Well, maybe a little argument, for old times....:D :D :D , but nothing to worry about!

Very Best,
David
Hi David,

Of course, for old times sake...How do you expect rightists to exists without the lefties..? :D :D :D :D

Happy New Year 2008, comrade commissar

Regards
Panzermahn
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

panzermahn wrote:Of course, for old times sake...How do you expect rightists to exists without the lefties..?
Interesting point! Without the rightists, David, you'd be... a Centrist!

For my part, I will continue to work on treating everyone with respect and courtesy, even when/if it isn't deserved.

I shall strive to keep my moderating as evenly balanced as humanly possible.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi Folks,

I'm, due to a recent turn of events, making a resolution of heading out to India for 3 months, then SE Asia for another 2. It's gonna be goood.

Also wondering, what does Jock need to do, to lose this 'Under Review' nonsense? If it's an public confession, please drop me a line. I have apologised to all concerned regards my recent "misgivings".

What I will not do, is, unwillingly, bow down to the emperor.

Cheers,
Jock