Feldgrau New Year's Resolutions

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Paddy Keating

Feldgrau New Year's Resolutions

Post by Paddy Keating »

I'm going to make an extra effort not just to leave grudges outside but to mend fences in 2008.

I wish everyone well in the coming year.

Now, I am off out to tie one on...

PK
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

Good idea.
Wouldn't want this to happen to you as well as you know who!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bfgn2lOSx6M
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Wow, that was hilarious!
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

OMG that is the greatest thing I have ever seen, lol

-Mike
"Life is not a support system for art, its the other way around."- Stephen King
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Dang! That IS funny. I always knew that with the bloody internet removed from the equation, Kenny and I would find common ground!

Best for 2008, Michael.

P
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Laughed my ass off!One of the best!

Happy New Year!
An unbreakable man
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Just replace the site name with Feldgrau or any site and it works great!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Superb!!! Really Superb!!!

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

The guys here at work started worrying about me as I watched it!

"I'm the only one that knew how to spell, let alone use proper grammar!"

THAT killed me!!!!

With all the crap us WWII Forum types have endured lo these past few months, that was a good way to go out of '07!

Vielen Danke!
:D :D :D :!: :beer: :beer:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Commissar D, the Evil

2008-the Forums must conciliate.

We can all hang separately, or hang together.

Time we made a joint statement of our intent and legitimacy. IMHO. If only to assure the world that we are not never either Neo-Nazis nor Holocaust deniers.

Time to bring our real objectives into the open!

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't know the difference between the Heer and the S.S. or the difference between a Stuka and an Hs-129, really shouldn't complain about anything that Feldgrau and other similar Boards have to offer in terms of History!!!!! :up: :up: :up:

Best,
~D, the EviL
Last edited by Commissar D, the Evil on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

Wish I could see it, but this piece of junk that only barely qualifies as a computer can't make heads or tails of Youtube.

I want to reciprocate the sentiment in the first post. Before I discovered Jason's site in November 1996- found it the very first time I went online- my "research" (as I grandly labeled my pointless collecting of biographical tidbits, which I strung together from every source I could get my hands on) was going nowhere, and it seemed as if it would always remain that way. I knew NO ONE who shared this interest. I was living in the dorms of a community college where everyone but me was constantly stoned (ok, I'll confess- I wasn't constantly UNstoned myself). Had no idea what I was missing before that first foray into the internet. It was a life-altering moment, and the community I found at "The German Armed Forces in World War II" gave me acceptance, encouragement, and friendship that I- "that Nazi dude" back in my high school years- had never experienced. And although the novelty hasn't entirely worn off, I have- as I admitted/indicated in an earlier thread here- gone astray from time to time, even behaving like a bloody bastard now and again and again...

I was going to go on a bit further, but that took a lot out of me and was corny as hell- so I'll just let it rest and close with a general-purpose "Thank you!" to Feldgrau, members and staff alike.

Sincerely,
~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
Commissar D, the Evil

Mike and my other friends We have all found a home here, united by our mutual interests. I, for one, fear that our home is threatened by those who have no knowledge of what we are about. These are folk who consider us as offering nothing more than revisionism and excuses for the murderous excesses of Nazi Germany.

Seems to me, since the vast part of our research involves simply keeping tabs on individual units, that we should not tolerate this simplistic , arrogant and unhistorical viewpoint towards our own folk who have studied the Chir, Stalingrad and Seelowe Heights.

Time, IMHO, for a counter-attack that makes our studies legitimate history, without glossing over the war crimes that certainly occurred.

Hey, the history of the 4th, 5th and Muncheberg Panzer Divisions speak for themselves, as do those of many other divisions. Do we leave these brave men in the lurch under the general topic "War Criminals"??? I don't think so.

I think that all Axis History Forums should unite! If they don't unite to defend themselves, than they will be wiped out or marginalized by ignorant folk who only want to consider history from their own viewpoint.

Very Best,
~D, the EviL
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

And thanks to you Mike, for being a member for more than 10 years now! Hard to believe, ey?? If only we had a forum like this back in the "old" days. I believe the forum posts would be well over 500,000 if that was the case... Anyway, we all make mistakes and as long we focus on the history and the research we can all give back something to the larger community instead of wasting our valuable time attacking one another. I'm not saying that to you, but to everyone. I appreciate PKs tone in the original message, and I for one really, really hope everyone strives to make the near year one in which the forum is a literal fountain of information and conversation. Leave the bad blood behind. Leave the uncivil debates and flame wars behind. Many parties have been guilty in the past. Some have been called out on it when it was noticed, others slipped through the cracks, but going forward I want a level field for everyone. I know with comments like Mike's above we can all "get along" just fine and focus on the research. That is my hope for 2007. We are going to clamp down hard on both uncivil debate, personal attacks, as well as bating comments and messages posted for no other reason than to goad someone. Those kinds of posts are uncalled for. We are about to add more moderators to the forum as well so things will be getting even more secure, not less.

Mike, how can I get a signed copy of your book??

David, although I agree there are issues that need to be resolved with "attacks" on our research, I don't give those attacks the weight you currently do. They exist, but to accord them any more value than they are worth does our own efforts more of a disservice than anything. I promise everyone I will have my long and detailed rebuttal of the Myth of the Eastern Front book available soon.

Happy New Year to everyone. Hour and a half to go here in San Francisco!
Commissar D, the Evil

David, although I agree there are issues that need to be resolved with "attacks" on our research, I don't give those attacks the weight you currently do. They exist, but to accord them any more value than they are worth does our own efforts more of a disservice than anything. I promise everyone I will have my long and detailed rebuttal of the Myth of the Eastern Front book available soon.
Jason, I never question your logic. It just seems to me that this site has endured a heavy attack of late by persons who deliberately try not to understand what we are all about. Please, please Forgive me if my first reaction is to attack the attackers. That is my own, heavy-handed way of defending a site that has brought me so much joy, friendship and scholarly information.

I well remember, when I was stuck on trying to figure out the Battles on the Chir that it was Marko, Abel Ravass and a few others who opened up their hearts, minds and valuable research to aid me.

To see us now condemned as a mere bunch of neo-nazi sympathizers, while knowing myself the scholarly research that went into our efforts, simply angers me. If this were the 19th century, as opposed to the 21st century, I would answer the criticism with pistols at ten paces!!!

Be Well and Best Regards
David
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

We appreciate your passion David. That is one of the reasons you are a valuable member of the mod team for this site.

Sometimes people attack in the hope of prompting a response. In those cases the best response is no response at all. I agree that works like Myth of the Eastern Front need a very direct response though, but it should be calculated and direct. Laser guided versus carpet bombing, if you will. @{ We must not attack the person either. We must focus on their work and read, review, reflect, research and counter with our own hopefully more reasoned and more valuable response..