Note to Gerhard

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Cott Tiger
Associate

Note to Gerhard

Post by Cott Tiger »

Gerhard,

I have sent you a PM explaining the reasoning behind my Hans Kammler thread. Unfortunately the thread was locked before I could counter the ridiculous and tired accusations that I was somehow personally attacking you, simply because I was interested in something you remarked upon in a locked thread. I simply wanted to know if you were aware of the full details of Kammlers career, and if you did, why you would hold the man in such high regard. That is all.

I won’t discuss this matter further here as it will only get locked or deleted.

Kind regards,

André

Note to Mods: Feel free to lock this thread.
Up The Tigers!
gerhard2
Supporter

Post by gerhard2 »

Andre:
I mentioned Kammler during a debate with Mr. Miller pointing out that he was one of the few high ranking officers I met/seen. The only conversations I had with them (except Dietrich) was as I recall "jawohl Obergruppen Fuhrer".From what I saw of them and heard from my comrades, they like most of our officers never asked anything they weren't prepared to do themselves.
As for Einsatz Gruppen, Concentration camps, forced labor, you know much more then I did. We did not read and hear about it until after the war. All these reports and books written about them - how accurate are they, are they facts , exaggerations, a smear campaign ? do you know ? I certainly don't.
But like I mentioned before if even a fraction of it is true I hope they all fry in hell.
You see I did not see any of it what I did see was what happened to me. The treatment when taken prisoner, the beatings during interrogation, the conditions in my POW camp, having to work without getting paid for it, not having family and a home left after discharge from POW camp, not ever hearing from relatives driven from their homes. Those are the things I saw not the ones you tell me about.
But as all this happened 60+ years ago we all should more concentrate on the theme of the original topic
TIME, THE GREAT LEVELLER.
Some time ago HaEn and I had a exchange recalling a few funny episodes, now that was enjoyable but for the rest ? it seems it is nothing but accusations and justifications and some name-calling.
Who needs that ?
Gerhard
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Gerhard,

Thank you for responding and for your sharing your thoughts. I hope you understand why I asked about Kammler.

Kind regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
haen2
WWII Vet

Input

Post by haen2 »

Hi Gerhard.
Thanks again, as before, for your well expressed input.
It triggered a thought ( yes I know, first time for everything) :D

sometime ago, was asked to 'document" my "melder-runs" during the Arnheim and later episodes, by naming the units and officers I had to go to, and/or deliver someting to.
He could not understand that I did not remember ANY of the names, but would admit that it "could have been" O.Gr.F. sowieso, AFTER reading a passage from a book about it, that COULD have coincided with my runs.
It was indeed : "Jawohl Sturmbann Führer", or "Herr Oberst", or what ever the rank of the receiving party was.
Some people seem to forget that we as "youngsters" of that time are now in our 80's. And those memories some 60 plus years old.
By the way, hang in there my friend, it is getting thin in the surviving ranks.
Kameradschäftliche Grüssen,
HN.
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !