German WWII War Heroes!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

German WWII War Heroes!

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I'm reviving this topic because it has not been neglected for some time.

Please list your ten top German WWII War Heroes!!!!

(And please remember that Generals don't outrank privates in this survey!! :D :D :D )

Let us drink to those who heroically sacrificed their lives in the war. Being a Hero has absolutely nothing to do with the side in the war one is on!!! It all depends on what a single man sacrifices or achieves! Nothing more!!!!

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
haen2
WWII Vet

Heroes

Post by haen2 »

Oh people :oops: , Are you really going to revive this thread about ME ? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh well, let praise come to where praise is earned ! :wink: :wink:
HN :roll: :?
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

Current forum members aside... :wink:

I'd go for Fritz Klingenberg. An amazing achievement in Belgrade, and his exploits in France were pretty good too. You'd just have to keep him away from your kit...
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Dr. Franz Bäke 8)

:beer: :beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Commissar D, the Evil

HaEn2 and Rudi S.!!!!!!

But spare a moment for Hyacinth, "The boy named Sue".

Best,
~D, the EviL
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Well its not really official, but through feldpost letters, my friends grandfather was considered a bit of a hero in Stalingrad with a sturm/pionier group. Not official though, just like with the platoon... :roll:
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Not official though, just like with the platoon...
There were so many heroes like that. On both sides, military and civilian.
Too bad their stories are not recorded and their deeds forgotten :( :(
Commissar D, the Evil

Aye, Forgotten Heroes is the Honor of Feldgrau!!! Please , Please tell us more about Hans Knospler, as we are always honored to know More!

Some folk are disposed ti believe that we--Feldgrau--are inclined to know as little as possible about Heroes--I am here you tell you that every True Feldgruian is here to learn about your Ancestor's courage, nothing m or less. The sacrifices of a Landser at Stalingrad, of all places, is a matter that concerns even the most lax of us all, a place of HONOR!!!

Very Best,

D, the EviL Commissar
Commissar D, the Evil

Aw, I have to tell you--you frigging Pus*ies--that, I for one, am long since sick of your unwillingness to share the sacrifices of your ancestors on a Board devoted to their sacrifices!!! What do you fear? What do you expect?

Speak or let it go--that's my personal advice!!! Everyone who deserves a mention as a Hero or simply as a Good Soldier deserves notice on this Great Site!!!!

Are you Germans? Or are you their tiny Ancestors grown so soft as to be ignored by history??? Once you terrified the World , now are your descendants appearing too frightened to speak their names???????

Aye, Ought it is, if you do not BRAG, as deserved !! And I don't mean this as an insult--only as a bare reality!

You have been trained too long to regard your kinfolk as an embarrassment, and I, the EviL Commissar say "Enough is Enough!!"

We enter an entirely new Century that demands the Truth!!

Very Best,
~D, the EviL
Commissar D, the Evil

Forgive me, please, my ill-grace about this matter. But I humbly beg you, for the honesty of Feldgrau and for the respect duly earned by your forefathers, sometimes at the cost of their lives, to speak up on their behalf!

No one here believes that, because they were members of the Whermacht, that they were either "war-criminals" or "genocidal maniacs"--simply that they were soldiers in a great World War and well-deserving of some mention of their sacrifices.

Very Best,
~David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, while I wouldn't have put it quite the way the Commissar did, I essentially agree with him! We are here to learn about the German military in WWII. Any story is worth hearing! I personally am more interested in the story of the average soldier than I am the general!

By all means, share! Please?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Well, my friend's grandfather was Wilhelm Schmehl (1915-1957), whom was a pionier Unteroffizier during 1940. He participated in the Polish, French, and Russian Campaigns.

In 1933, he was a member of the Hitlerjugend, and accelled among his comrades as being an "Extreme survivalist and one who would reach his extreme outer limits to accomplish his goal at task".

He was a very hard person to get along with and had few friends, except for one that he grew up with.

When he first vollunteered for the military, he was placed with the infantrie, but later on during or before 1940, he was placed with the pioniere.

His last letter to his wife was before the advance into Stalingrad which basically stated "We can see the lights of Stalingrad now, but we'll never take the city"

On New Years Day of 1943, he was captured and was sent to a Gulag to rot for quite some time. I believe I have a peice of video footage which shows him with a group of pioniere prisoners at Stalingrad.

His best friend whom he grew up with was captured with him, and together they were sent to the same Gulag.

In the Gulag, the NKVD guards kept trying to take Schmehl's wedding ring as he slowly died of Yellow Fever, but he was able to keep it with the little strength he had left. He eventually gave it to his friend before Schmehl was dragged (Still allive supposedly) to a mass grave by meathooks being pulled by the NKVD guards. Schmehl died a few weeks before his release in 1957

His friend survived the Gulag at was sent back to Germany, where he gave Schmehl's wife her husbands wedding ring and told her the whole story.

Sad but true. These photos I have are the few surviving things belonging to Schmehl. My friend gave them to me, so I don't know how they got back. Either Schmehl gave them to his friend at the Gulag or Schmehl mailed them home to his wife before his capture. Also, if some of this information doesn't make sense, please do not blame me. Its what my friend told me, and its what his grandmother told him.

The other surviving things of Schmehl's are an Infantry Assault Badge, and a war time photo album. I don't have these two items, but they will be coming to me soon via mail :D

Also, through photographic research, he was also a Feldwebel. I also think he was involved with Pavlov's House. He was pretty much a survivalist as far as I know, and that he wouldn't give a damn about you if you got in the way of what he had to do. That's why he wasn't very easy to get along with. See if you can spot him ;)
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Here's Bäke , who can identify the other two ?
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Aye, Forgotten Heroes is the Honor of Feldgrau!!! Please , Please tell us more about Hans Knospler, as we are always honored to know More!

Some folk are disposed ti believe that we--Feldgrau--are inclined to know as little as possible about Heroes--I am here you tell you that every True Feldgruian is here to learn about your Ancestor's courage, nothing m or less. The sacrifices of a Landser at Stalingrad, of all places, is a matter that concerns even the most lax of us all, a place of HONOR!!!

Very Best,

D, the EviL Commissar
Hans Knospler is one of my relatives, not really sure how close because of a screwed up family tree. He was in the Waffen-SS, and his ultimate rank was lieutenant (AKA Obersturmfuhrer)

I really don't know much about him, because he came to the United States illegally and my relatives are trying to cover him up. They have a few period photos of him that I will see soon, but for now, I have no idea what he looked like.

He was very young (17-19) when he was recruited. He lived on a farm in Austria with his sisters and parents.

So I was told, one of his sisters and his mother were creating anti-national social propoganda leaflets that were speaking out against the government and the war. When the recruiters came for Hans, he refused to join, so later they came back and threatened him with his sister and mother's safety.

Obviously, he agreed to join, and served in the eastern front. He always complained how cold it was, and told a story of how he and his men were in a defensive trench when they were attacked by the Russians. Running down the trench, he fell followered from a heavy blow to his back. He reached over, thinking he had been shot, which he had.

Fortunately, he was wearing so much winter clothing, that he was protected by the wall of steel. He counted six bullets stuck in his coats. Lucky him :wink:

He got frostbight later in his genitals, and had them removed :shock: :? He was then sent back to Austria, but was considered of no further use since he was not fighting, hence; his mother and sister were tried and sentenced to a concentration camp. His sister was experimented on and died, but his mother survived.

Afterwards, he was sent back to the east in the last ditch effort to get all the men together to fight. He was able to retreat to the west, where he surrendered to American troops and sat in a POW camp for a while.

After his release, he came to the USA illegally, and he died about 10 years ago. He still held alot of hatred for the Russian people to his death, and he held some hatred for the Jewish people, not because of the propoganda going around during the Second World War and the Holocaust, but because he blamed them for the war and his suffering.

I never met the guy, but this is what my family members told me. I know alot of the information has HUGE gaps in it, but this is only because I don't know everything.
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

There are many soldiers I would list as heroes. Dr. Franz Bake, Theodor Tolsdorff, Adalbert Schultz, Heinz-Georg Lemm, Michael Possinger, Otto Carius, Kurt Knispel, Kurt Meyer, Michael Wittmann, Hans Dorr, Franz Hack, Rudolf Witzig, Hans Koch, ect...................

You should read the following book if you' re interested in common heroes. http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/pre-pub_offer.htm
Klaus Richter