visiting Bulgaria, the mystery land.....

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Marc Binazzi
Supporter

visiting Bulgaria, the mystery land.....

Post by Marc Binazzi »

I will be in Bulgaria for a week by the beginning of September on the Black Sea, just above Varna, which I understand is a very popular vacation area with long sand beaches and warm water (and plenty of Bulgarian girls.....)

Seriously is there anything to see in connection with Bulgaria's recent history? I have seen stuff about old monasteries but anything in connection with WW One or Two would be nice.

Thanks!!!!
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

You should really visit Perperikon a ancient Thracian city home of the Thracian kings and where in the neighbourhood the site of Tatul lies where supposedly lies the Orpheus tomb..Perperikon is a city cut out from the rocks in the mountains (Rhodopes)

http://www.ancient-bulgaria.com/2006/08 ... f-orpheus/

http://www.picturesofbulgaria.com/photo ... rikon.html
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Marc,

I believe Varna has the Bulgarian naval museum. Plevna, as the site of the great battle/siege in Bulgaria's independence war against the Turks in 1877-78 (I think), apparently has a good military museum, possibly covering later periods. I suspect that there might be a military museum at Turtucaia (the former Romanian name) on the Danube, where the Bulgarians won a major victory in WWI. Given it's army's tough performance over 1912-18, the "Prussia of the Balkans" should have a fair amount to be proud of during those years.

Cheers,

Sid.

P.S. If you ever visit Zimbabwe, I can direct you to a house built by Bulgarian stone mason POWs in WWI!
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

sid guttridge wrote: P.S. If you ever visit Zimbabwe, I can direct you to a house built by Bulgarian stone mason POWs in WWI!
Sid, thanks, I will stay at the "Golden sands" which I understand if a vacation resort just above Varna.

I suppose you have nothing about Zimbabwean POWs in Bulgaria???? :D
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Marc,

Sadly not..... but I did meet some disgruntled ZANLA pilots who had been trained in Romania in the mid 1970s. They thought they were going to take over the Rhodesian Air Force but when they returned to the country in 1980 they were found to be only of basic Private Pilots Licence standard and were retrained by the new Zimbabwean Air Force.

I also had the dubious pleasure of guarding 400-odd ZANLA police who had been trained in Yugoslavia. Comrade Lot Sibanda, their leader, thought he was going to take over as Commissioner of Police, but the new Minister of Home Affairs was Joshua Nkomo, the head of the rival ZIPRA forces. He insisted they all take the basic entry exam for constable. Most failed.

Cheers,

Sid.
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Bulgaria in ww1 /ww2 can hardly be called mystery land, it's the Thracian peoples who once roamed the land that are very obscure and mysterious.
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

this will be of interest, have a nice trip, bring photos.!!

http://www.dw-world.com/dw/article/0,21 ... 95,00.html

Xavier
aka Der Autodidakt
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

Xavier, thanks for the link. I was wondering how you pronounce the name of this village, "Fakiya", in English..... :roll: