Posted Before.....

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

Posted Before.....

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Believe it or not, this simple anime represents the Japanese spirit of self-sacrifice very well.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuqkDeWRYs

Best,
Akira Ushijima, Servant of the Emperor!
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

if you look at the comments to the vid, you can tell that people are pissed at this. what's wrong with showing the other side?
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Dragunov, people are always pissed at "showng the other side". That's why the Heroic Red Army gets such bad press on Axis WWII sites! One would think that, after all these years, folks would understand that every Army fought for it's country and, usually, to the end..... :up: :up: :up:

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

such bad press on Axis WWII sites!
speaking of which... where's Oleg? we need a good rep for the red side.
fought for it's country
didn't they all......

does patriotism border on ignorance?

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?opt ... ur+vote%21
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

patriotism border on ignorance?
NO, a patriot knows exactly what they are fighting for. Ignorance means to not know.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Patriotism

Fighting for one's country - what does that mean?

I'd fight for my state, for the American people or even for some cause that I personally believed to be just.

I would not however, fight for the US govt unless I was drunk. Very drunk.

In a huge conflict like WWII men didn't get to make such fine distinctions. You fought for your country and whatever pack of swine were mis-ruling it. It was the only game in town.

If nothing else - WW2 showed us just how powerless we as humans really are. Ken Tout ("a fine night for tanks") served in Normandy with a Brit tank outfit. In an interview for a documentary he noted that his boys got on fine with German prisoners.

And he asked, So why in the heck couldn't those bozo politicians do what ordinary men could do? :x

Which is why I'm sceptical about fighting for govts. The exception of course (also forced upon us by govt ineptitude) is when the enemy are hammering at the gates.

cheers
Reb
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

We don't fight for governments anymore! We fight for private companies, in which our leaders and their cronies are shareholders. It is not unlike the 18th century.

PK
Roddoss72
Supporter

Post by Roddoss72 »

Paddy Keating wrote:We don't fight for governments anymore! We fight for private companies, in which our leaders and their cronies are shareholders. It is not unlike the 18th century.

PK
That is damned strict, i mean the coalition in the middle east is fighting for oil and the interests that control it, basically nothing more or less, oh and democracy has been forgotten. And besides not all cultures are acustomed to have democracy, it is not their way and for us in the west to assume that all cultures need to democratic is arrogant in the worst way.
There is no such thing as defeat, but the postponement of another war
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

"...democracy..."

Too true about the arrogance. I submit however that for those of us who find no appeal in democracy (dictatorship of the illiterate masses) this is annoying on several levels.

One good idea might be to try a republic on for size...there was a country called America years ago - guess that didn't work out... :(

cheers
Reb
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Reb wrote:Patriotism

Fighting for one's country - what does that mean?

I'd fight for my state, for the American people or even for some cause that I personally believed to be just.

I would not however, fight for the US govt unless I was drunk. Very drunk.

In a huge conflict like WWII men didn't get to make such fine distinctions. You fought for your country and whatever pack of swine were mis-ruling it. It was the only game in town.

If nothing else - WW2 showed us just how powerless we as humans really are. Ken Tout ("a fine night for tanks") served in Normandy with a Brit tank outfit. In an interview for a documentary he noted that his boys got on fine with German prisoners.

And he asked, So why in the heck couldn't those bozo politicians do what ordinary men could do? :x

Which is why I'm sceptical about fighting for govts. The exception of course (also forced upon us by govt ineptitude) is when the enemy are hammering at the gates.

cheers
Reb
Won't fight for the US government, but you've fought for a colonialist government for pay, as a mercenary? You probably are a drunk. Small wonder Sherman sacked Atlanta, if your ability to reason is representative of the everyday citizen of that race-obsessed town. 8)
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Dragunov, people are always pissed at "showng the other side". That's why the Heroic Red Army gets such bad press on Axis WWII sites! One would think that, after all these years, folks would understand that every Army fought for it's country and, usually, to the end..... :up: :up: :up:

Very Best,
David
Your convictions would ring truer, David, were everyone here as equally enthusiastic about extolling the courage and fighting capabilities of the Waffen-SS or those of the collective German soldier of WWII.

I've owned Hatsuho Naito's Thunder Gods for 25 years, and will never call the Japanese Okha pilot anything but a truly heroic and resolute warrior. Likewise, I may vehemently disagree with communism, but I'll never think of a Soviet Red Army veteran as anything but a dogged defender of his sacred land.

Heroes are found in every uniform of every nation, as HaEn or Gerhard noted in a different thread.

All the best from the nation's breadbasket....
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Uli

I was not a mercenary - I was a regular soldier. I'm not a drunk either - although I drink to excess on occassion after discours with govt loving sheep.

No enemy threatens us in any way that could matter except the US govt. Yuo know - the idiots that hassle granny at the airport but leave the borders wide open. That have more people in prisons than the rest of the world combined. Who bust kids for smoking pot but let child molesters walk the street. Who are trying to disarm us in this, the most dangerous period in history. Yeah...I trust 'em.... :D

Why on earth would I fight for that rabble? I'd have to be a merceny to fight for that bunch of swine - I'm not young enough or naive enough to sell the bullshit they're peddling.

Yeah - I fought for Smith's govt - the govt that rules least rules best - you could hardly get arrested in Rhodesia - the only real problem was communist funded terrorists backed by (wait for it) the US and British govts. The same guys you think I should support.

The same damned liars that bankrupted their countries for a so-called cold war with the Soviets and Chicoms. Funny how Jimmy Carter was able to consider them allies... but he got angry in that sissy way of his when Ivan invaded Afghanistan. Go figure.

If you've ever read the consitution you'd know that our govt is a bunch of traitorous scoflaws - making a mockery of rule of law. Yet you trust 'em -you must be mighty naive.

And as to Sherman - send him on down. Atlanta has become a yankee town - I'd laugh as it burned. But your Mr. Sherman better scoot after that.... 8)

cheers
Reb
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Roddoss72 wrote:
That is damned strict, i mean the coalition in the middle east is fighting for oil and the interests that control it, basically nothing more or less, oh and democracy has been forgotten.
Roddoss,

I didn't realise that Afghanistan was so oil rich.

Your statement is painfully simplstic and rather narrowminded.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Re: Posted Before.....

Post by Cott Tiger »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Believe it or not, this simple anime represents the Japanese spirit of self-sacrifice very well.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuqkDeWRYs

Best,
Akira Ushijima, Servant of the Emperor!
David,

Thanks for the link David.

It led me onto some rather poignant real footage I hadn't seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5slCTLrFHI&NR=1

Regards

Andre
Up The Tigers!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I'd have to be a merceny to fight for that bunch of swine
...or work for Haliburton, Blackwater, Fluora......

...or does that amount to the same thing? :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds