'Hetzer' extracted from Baltic's bottom at Hel

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Njorl
Contributor

'Hetzer' extracted from Baltic's bottom at Hel

Post by Njorl »

Greetings,

I'm happy to inform that today May 26th at about noon near Jurata (Hel Peninsula aka Halbinsel Hela) 'Hetzer' tank-killer had been robbed from vaults of Baltic Sea :!:

Source: Odkrywca

According to information provided on Forum Odkrywca site the vehicle is in good shape (although it lacks roof and back armour plates) and most probably will be restored.

Link to gallery with still hot pictures: http://www.odkrywca.pl/galerie.php?nazwa=432

Regards,

MJU

PS. On photos #23 and #27 you can even see projectile stuck in the barrel :shock:
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Now that is just awesome. Thanks for the link and info.

Wonder how it got there?
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

how did the projectile get stuck in that part of the barrel without exploding? and what's the vehicle in front of it in that picture??
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Oh! How cool!

Were there any 'remains' of the crew if they died in there? Pretty awesome. Thanks for the info! :)
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Recovery veh is a T54/55 body with the turret removed and converted into a recovery tank.

I am wondering if that part of land was originally dry and over the years the sea has reclaimed it, burying all that was there.

How did they come to find the tank?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I know there's a barge somewhere off the Polish coast with a number of AFVs on its deck, reputed to be a number of StuGs and at least one Hetzer - its not from this is it?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

I suspect it is not one of them, phylo. A barge with several 7TP light tanks is also reported to have sunk in Vistula River in September 1939. THIS would be a discovery!

According to information posted on Odkrywca's Forum 15 years ago the vehicle was standing in the water about 50 metres off the beach, covered with sand. Baltic is rather aggressive in taking the land and I suspect that it could have stuck on the shore - note the damaged track - and was susequently overwhelmed by sea over these years. As far as I know there no remains of its crew had been found. It might have been abandoned.

How did they find it? About year and a half ago one person started a thread on Odkrywca's Forum that about a dozen years ago he had been playing in a tank sunk in the sea :D I suspect it all started then. Of course there was a lot of wondering whether this is just another fable or not. You should know, that there are a lot of tanks sunk in swamps all over the Poland. Of course all of them Tigers :wink:

This was the second attempt to recover the vehicle - previous time stormy weather did not allow to even start the operation.

Regards,

MJU
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well, OF COURSE theyre all Tigers - I mean, who wants to have childhood rose-tinted memories of just another bloody PzIV at the bottom of the garden to play in???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hello,

Yet another gallery eg. showing the beast emerging from sea http://www.odkrywca.pl/galerie.php?nazwa=433

Regards,

MJU
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

By the way: what are they doing to do with it? will it end in Poznań's barracks as most of such vehicles?
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Njorl and thanks for the great pictures! :D It makes me wonder how it must have felt to go to the beach back in the fifities, sixities and so, building sand castles and playing arond the Hetzer... :wink:

Great pics! :up:

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

This is just GREAT.
Love it when they find WWII Relics.

Keep us informed.

Thanks!
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

You welcome Gentlmen :D

Another gallery - the last I know of: http://www.odkrywca.pl/galerie.php?nazwa=434

The thing stuck in the barrel tuned out to be a ramrod, not the projectile.

The vehicle is to enrich the collection of Museum of Motorisation in Gdynia.

Regards,

MJU

PS. Also RSO's chasis was excavated last friday as well, but it is in rather poor condiction.
Roddoss72
Supporter

Post by Roddoss72 »

Another ghost of the past resurfaces, that is simply awesome, hope to see more stuff on the subject.
There is no such thing as defeat, but the postponement of another war
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

what beest thy rod like thingies here?
http://www.odkrywca.pl/slajd.php?gn=433&f=hetzer225.jpg
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev