Another T-34 extracted from Russian soil

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Njorl
Contributor

Another T-34 extracted from Russian soil

Post by Njorl »

See here: http://www.pln-pskov.ru/photo/photoreport/41184.html :shock:

I wonder how many still await their excavation...

Regards,

MJU
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Probably hundreds, and plenty of Axis stuff too! There's a lot surfacing (literally!) in Poland and the Baltic States, with I'm sure you know a museum in Poland made up of salvage like this. Its supposed to be something in the coldness of the waters, a bit like Norwegian Fiords and aircraft - it suppresses the normal chemical process like the formation of rust and other corrosion. But THIS one seems in quite remarkable condition - with the recovery team even bringing it out by its original towing eyes!!! I can't see what put it out of action tho! There's NO sign of an entry hole, tho' you only see the forward half of the port side.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

It looks like there might be an entry hole near the bottom, on the front of the turret. Possibly...

On the other hand, maybe in the heat of battle, the driver just made a wrong turn, and they got stuck!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

the driver just made a wrong turn, and they got stuck!
i've seen a pic of a Sherman that did about that... tried to dodge fire and fell into a muddy shell hole.

that specemin is in beautiful condition... the markings are still intact! good candidate for restoration...
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

Thanks Njorl, for posting the link. Really great pictures of of a muddy-mint condition T-34! :D It makes you wonder over how much stuff there are down/out there... :shock: Although being an old archaeological student myself, I was never much for relic hunting or artefact/stuff collecting. The fact that Sweden haven't officially (as a nation) been at war for nearly 200 years doesn't increase the amount of 20th century stuff to be found, or bought here. But I do prefer that over having the alternative possibility of finding old T-34's in the Stockholm area... :wink:

Again, really nice and intersting pictures!

http://www.pln-pskov.ru

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Could of broken through ice or had a shell break up the ice in battle.
I did notice that the driver hatch is closed though.......

Still is nice to see these items being recovered.
Thanks for the site.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Tom, I saw that, but recokned a hit there woul had if not lifted the turrt out of its ring, then bent it a bit! And looking at the pics, its certainly free enough to turn!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
JägerMarty
Supporter

Post by JägerMarty »

any updates on this? I wonder what they found inside it?
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

For some reason I see so many more T-34's with their turrets turned to their rear then German tanks. I have original photos of T-34s with turrets facing backwards, and I've seen a lot of photos like this one with the same pattern. Why is that? Does anyone know?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Simple - far easier to do non-combat driving with the turret turned around, either on the marks with the "Mickey Mouse" twin hatches or the huge one pice hatches. NEITHER were designed for the commander to "command" with then open!
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Just got off the phone with Rudi S (veteran and gunner of WWII), and he told me it would be easier to drive in forest terain, so that the barrel wouldn't break.

It makes a lot more sense now.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Rudi on one side may have had a different driving experience to the Russians....namely this....

...which is why they went to the mickey mouse hatches, but even THEN mounted them at the front of the hatch...not only do you have to stand WAY up in the turret, you have to lean to the side well out of cover...
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Oh I see. That makes even more sense now. Thanks a lot.
BucketHead

Hatch

Post by BucketHead »

Getting a little off topic perhaps, but maybe it hinged on the front to provide small arms / shrapnel protection while the commander tried to figure out what was going on? To stop it slamming down on his head when it is up and he is not paying attention. Easier to see when the turret is pointing backward? Better pray there is not a sniper off to the side somewhere though ... I'm just guessing here.

Knowing the Russian war-machine it was probably just easier to manufacture.
Regards ... BucketHead
2nd SS (MN) Site: http://www.WaffenSSMN.org/
Do not believe everything you read on the internet. Trust, but verify. This included.
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Wasn't the positioning of the hatches a way to protect the commander from incomming light armed fire?