German ancestry of U.S. combat personnel

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Pz Man

Ike did go up against Kesselring. They held similar positions in Tunisisia. Ike won.

That said - I'd never claim Ike to be a tactical genius allthough I do agree (with some reservations) with his broad front strategy.

What I'm claiming is that Ike was the best man for the job and he pulled it off. Can't ask much more of a man than that.

cheers
Reb
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Oh Reb I don't think we disagree on JWB bad timing but I can't say that I don't always have a smirk about Lincoln getting one in the back of the head. As you said though it would have done the South a favor earlier instead of latter though it does make you wonder who let old JWB get that close to Lincoln then escape with a broken leg....doesn't sound like too many people were bothered either. :D :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

RC

Unlike the militarized psuedo police state in which we find ourselves these days Lincoln, even in time of war, rarely had more than one or two bodyguards - either Pinkertons or army. Often he had none and the white house was open one day a week so the average citizen could go in and talk directly to the president.

And those brother, were different times!

cheers
Reb
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

panzermahn wrote:....
Eisenhower doesn't not really have the military talents like Patton, Bradley. The only talent Eisenhower had in his management skills of the Allies and managing primadonnas like Patton and Monty....
But isn't that the most important skill for the job he held?
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Reb wrote:Pz Man

Ike did go up against Kesselring. They held similar positions in Tunisisia. Ike won.

That said - I'd never claim Ike to be a tactical genius allthough I do agree (with some reservations) with his broad front strategy.

What I'm claiming is that Ike was the best man for the job and he pulled it off. Can't ask much more of a man than that.

cheers
Reb
Hi Reb,

Isn't Kesselring the Supreme Commander South based in Italy? As far as I know, Generaloberst Hans-Jurgen von Arnim is the commander of German forces in Tunisia and Kesselring is his superior.

And bear in mind Ike lost the first round in Kasserine against a cornered opponent with less and less supplies and replacement as day goes while the American forces comes in the war with unlimited ammunitions and resources.

Rgrds
Panzermahn
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Reb wrote:RC

Unlike the militarized psuedo police state in which we find ourselves these days Lincoln, even in time of war, rarely had more than one or two bodyguards - either Pinkertons or army. Often he had none and the white house was open one day a week so the average citizen could go in and talk directly to the president.

And those brother, were different times!

cheers
Reb
Indeed Reb but it was probably more of a police state under Lincoln this is a man who threw reporters in jail for reporting on his General's constant bundling of campaigns as well as political dissenters. Hell this is the same who approved impressing Irish Immigrants who were arriving right off the boats. I personally think Lincoln thought himself above being assassinated and therefore didn't worry about it but when you make tons of enemies like Lincoln did you should really start watching your back especially since even till this day not all the conspirators are known in the mass shootings during the time. Indeed for everyones knowledge there were several assassination attempts during at the same time. Can't remember everyone who was targeted though.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

PzMan

Ike didn't have anything like unlimited resources at the time of Kasserine. To blunt the German offensive a hard driving Artillery officer named Irwin moved 48 guns over 800 miles in time to shoot them too a halt.

Ike was at that time, busily organizing the pipeline that would ultimately give him unlimited resources. Which again - is a sign of generalship.

Arnim was the local general on the scene - just as Fredendall (that ass) was for the Amis. So it really was Kesselring against Ike at the Strategic level. we know who won.

cheers
Reb
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

RC

I'm not denying that Lincoln was a bastard. But he didn't have the police state infrastructure he would have liked. Bush / Clinton created an apparratus the East Germans would love since its tentacles reach down into the neighborhoods. "Honest" Abe would have loved it too. Those pesky Southerners would not have been able to kiss off his tarriffs then!

The conspiracy was aimed at his cabinet. I'm not at home so don't have my books - but I think they may have at least wounded Seward.

cheers
Reb
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Reb
Ike was at that time, busily organizing the pipeline that would ultimately give him unlimited resources. Which again - is a sign of generalship
A political generalship to summed up Ike's capability. Again, it would be interesting to see how Ike managed a field army on a strategical, operational as well as tactical level.

Rgrds
Panzermahn
Matt

Post by Matt »

Interesting thread.